Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 3 weeks ago

Are shelters the only living option for people on ssi if they can’t get section 8 and don’t have friends or family ?

The caretaker is a great idea! Room rentals are too but finding accessible stuff is hard. But that’s a good idea about finding a caretaker since medicaid helps pay for that. 

On ssi you can’t save money for a House or car but normally I would Agree that money management is a solution. But they’re too disabled to drive so things like a car don’t matter and unless the house was small and custom built they would have trouble managing most houses. And many people do live out of their means or give it away.

2k a month is what they’re allowed to save(and I agree that should be enough to rent a room). I don’t know how they spend their money. They obviously don’t go places much and they have a feeding tube so they don’t spend any money on food. I don’t think they have a computer or tv(unless they bought one in a few months). I would assume medicaid pays for the tube feeding and medical expenses.

Yikes I meant 2k max not a month lol. But that’s still probably enough to at least rent a room. And rv is another great idea depending on how they get things set up and where they go. I don’t think it really matters where they live as long as they have access to help and doctors since they’re mostly homebound due to disabilities. So it’s not like they get to see what’s in town or go out to bars. And if they don’t/can’t work the job market doesn’t matter in the area.

Favorite Answer

There are many people like me single man or single ladies out there that have a spare bedroom that they're willing to rent out to a person that is on social security or SSI. Put yourself in an ad in the free newspaper something like this I am on social security or disability I'm looking for somebody that's willing to rent me a room. And assist me with light up keep of myself. Medicare and Medicaid will help to pay the rent and your upkeep for a private caretaker. So your job is to first locate a person that is willing to be your private caretaker. SSI or social security and Medicaid will conduct a pre-screening to make sure the place that you're moving to is not going to take unfair advantage of you.

I don't know what part of the world you live in but ssi maintains us in a very nice house.  We have some expensive hobbies and pets that cost us about $8,000 - $10,000 annually.  We also have a decent RV that costs us more than $400 monthly, in payments and storage.  We have never lived in section 8 and have always done well in life, and we have friends on ssi and some of them have nicer homes than hours and nicer views.

• Bort

No. There are a lot of landlords that prefer having someone who has a stable income such as SSI instead of a person in perfect health who works. People that work lose their job and therefore become unable to pay rent. Someone on SSI is guaranteed rent paid, on schedule.

babyboomer1001, I think you are a pathetic excuse of a human being!!! I never said I receive SSI, so STFU.

Saving 2k per month is not possible, for people who are on SSI, and get $771 per month, and are not receiving another income, or incomes. I rented a room, for $475 per month, for 1 year in someone's house. I met two men who were paying $425 per month, and they each had their own room in the same house I was living in.

I never said anything about buying a house. A home doesn't have to be ONLY, and STRICTLY a house. Hypothetically speaking what if I said I get very little money every month, and I have enough money to buy a home. I assume your response would be no, or you can't. I really don't care about how you are thinking right now. I would find it extremely funny if I bought a home, and then I invited you to my home, and then you said I don't believe this is your home. Good luck! You're going to need it. You might be, so jealous of me that you might break down in tears knowing that I was able to buy a home with a small income.

I know what it's like living in houses. I am not interested in wanting to continue to live in one. I have two different ideas regarding what I want to live in, but I am leaning more towards one of my ideas, and this idea would be to buy my own home.

Money management is a solution. I can think of ways to get past the disabled part. I won't be sticking around here to explain what I have in mind.

Lets say you get $771 per month. What I am wondering is how you would go about spending that money. I realize that's a small amount of money, so if you play your cards right, and you being patient then I think maybe you can save enough, for a home. That's what you want right if not then just go to a shelter. Like I said there are ways to get past the too disabled part, but you would have to play your cards right, or else you just might end up going to a shelter.

• babyboomer1001
      3 weeks agoReport

That's your problem.  Your earnings have been so pathetic - so your ssi payment is also pathetic.  Not everyone gets such a pathetically small benefit.  If you earned a decent income throughout your career, you might get several  thousand dollars in ssi, and if you had investments - more income.

No , you can rent a room in someone's house or share an apartment with roommates.

• Judith

Of course not.  People have roommates or rent rooms.  No reason why you can't as well.

No, they could commit a crime and go to prison.

No, there are spots under freeways and other structures.