Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 4 weeks ago

How should I deal with tenants who refuse to move their junk for handymen?

I went through this years ago with these tenants. They were told to remove their things from the front porch. They didn't do it, so then the tenant called me screaming her flower pot got broken. I told her I would pay for it just to shut her up, but I never heard anything more about it. They've been asked to remove their junk this time around twice. When I say junk I mean junk. The things I see they have laying around aren't worth anything & we can't figure out why they even keep them.

You serve them a for cause notice in compliance with your state laws.  This gives her x # of days to clean up her crap or x # of days to move out.  Check your state laws for the required # of days. 

Just evict them if they do not comply. Simple.

• Nuff Sed
      4 weeks agoReport

Sure, "simple" if you ignore the difficulties inherent in the court processes in many places, not to mention having to find and qualify a new tenant, who may be an even bigger pain than the current ones...

Why haven't you evicted them, for failing to follow the fire codes, after fair warning. And why on earth would you agree to pay for the flower pot when you told them to move it?

• Nuff Sed
      4 weeks agoReport

Who said anything about "fire code"?  Are you making up facts to fit your own narrow view of what the OP is trying to ask?

• Bort

How I would deal with it is first attempt approaching the tenants politely about it. Show them what has to be moved and explain the reason it has to be moved is so it doesn't get damaged. It's not you or your crews job to move things out of the way but you can be held responsible for damages, as you probably know. If they refuse contact the landlord and inform him that you're concerned about or can't safely do the work with their items there. Don't call it "junk". It's best to use non-offensive words.

If neither get the stuff moved your only options are to refuse doing the work to protect yourself, work around it the best you can, or move either all of it out of the way or parts of it out of the way as it's in the way and then put it back.

Me personally...I wouldn't touch the stuff and I would refuse to do the work until it's moved explaining that I or my crew can't safely do the work with it being there, it's in the way.

There's no way to force them to move it. The only way to attempt getting it moved is to ask politely.

---------EDIT---------

'Cure or Quit' is part of the eviction process when a tenant violates terms of the agreement. That is the only reason Cure or Quit can be used. Anything can be put in a lease but if there is no cleanliness term that enforces the place be clean there is nothing a landlord can do legally to "force" them to move it. 

You get more bees with honey. A landlord cannot invonvenience a tenant. 

Neither party 'runs the show'. Rental agreements are a mutual agreement. Both sides have rights, both sides have protections. 

• anonymous4 weeks agoReport

YES, there is a way to FORCE them to move it. Cure or quit. I'm not going to let tenants stop me from getting work done. You've got to be kidding thinking tenants are going to run the show.

send them written notice you will not be responsible for damage if they fail to remove it.  if the handyman can't work around it, send a cure or quit notice and move to evict if they don't

You send them a legal notice by certified mail you are hereby required to make your porch vacant so that maintenance can be performed on it by such-and-such date failure to do so will result in me issuing you a 30-day eviction notice. And keep hold of the other notices where you have asked them to do this you should be documenting this in writing not just verbally and if they refuse to comply evict them.

Bob, don't renew their lease.

• Judith

Why don't you evict them now or when the lease is up for renewal?  I would.  Surely you can get tenants who are neater and cleaner and more cooperative than these people.  Or give them an ultimatum - clean up the mess or get evicted.  See what happens.   You have every right to demand that they keep up the appearance of the place which YOU own.

As for replacing a broken vase; you aren't liable.  Their own fault and tell them so.

Regarding eviction - contrary to what someone else said, you don't need a good reason not to renew their lease as long as you aren't discriminating against them because of their race, religion, gender, age or sexual orientation.

They don't move it when they are given proper notice, you aren't liable for any damage.

• Nuff Sed
      4 weeks agoReport

Whoever damages their stuff is, in fact, "liable for any damage". Why would you think otherwise?  Using your logic, if you crash into my car after my parking meter expired, it's my fault because I was given notice that it was time to move my car.

• Speed

It's not the landlord's business why the tenants choose to keep what they do--unless it creates a nuisance on the property. If their rent includes the porch, they can put on it what they will, so long as it's not a nuisance or against local laws.

But as the landlord, you have rights, too, and among them is the repair and upkeep of the property with appropriate notice. If your handyman needs access to the entire porch--say, for painting it--then you can appropriately demand that they remove everything.

If you just want the junk gone because it's unsightly, you're probably out of luck.

What you can do if they refuse or ignore you depends on state law. Where I live, you would have to give them written notice with a firm date that's the deadline, and tell them what you or your representative (the handyman) will do with their possessions that are in the way.

Check with any area landlord-tenant council to be sure you know what your rights are, and follow the law to the letter.

• anonymous4 weeks agoReport

They can't put whatever they want on the porch & have things be unsightly to the front of the property.