Can I pair an i3 9100F with a 970 ti?

My Mobo is an MSI Mortar B-360M manufacteured some months ago

You'd have to check to see which BIOS version is on that motherboard because a lot of these b360 boards came out before the 9th Gen processors came out. If the BIOS is too old then the CPU won't be recognized by the BIOS. 

If the BIOS version is too old then you'll have to update it. generally the only way to update the BIOS on an older b360 board is with an 8th Gen CPU. 

Basically yes - but (depending on the software/game you like to run) it's likely that the CPU would throttle the GPU in that case.

I have a i5-4690k@4.4GHz paired to a undervolted (too small PSU atm) 1080ti. In Elite:Dangerous, the CPU and presumably the PSU (at least one of the fans is making an awful lot of noise...) are running at 90%+, while the GPU rarely reaches 50%.

Yes, I'll upgrade the PSU, case and cooling in the next two months, but I don't see much chance for a new mobo/CPU right now.

• John4 weeks agoReport

well I might be running some of the latest games like RE2 and Fallen Order. 
      Although I don't have any idea if these two would suffice or there will be some system tangling with them while I play these.

• David

It isn’t the CPU but motherboard compatibility that is important. In general any motherboard manufactured in the last 6 years is compatible with any graphics card manufactured in the last 6 years. Of more importance is

a) Whether the card will fit in the case - some modern cards are dual slot and occupy a fair length and width

b) Whether the power supply will be sufficient and has enough connectors (some high end cards require 2 PCI-e power connectors)

Check the power requirements of the card and then check your PSU power output.

HTH

David

• John4 weeks agoReport

yeah I have the latest MSI Mortar which can slot even the 9th gen CPUs

You can pair any processor with any graphics card, as long as the motherboard has a slot that it will fit in.

• It should go without saying that if the BIOS is incompatible and no update is available, the board should be returned. The question is about processor and graphics card pairing, not motherboards.