Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 3 weeks ago

What does it say about you if most people say a colleague is nice, kind etc, but they have never been that way to you?

Though you’ve always been polite and nice to them, never rude

There are several people in our large social group whom I just don't like.  Mostly it comes down to their habits of speech – they mumble, or hold the floor, or have a raspy quality to their voices.

It's not their fault, it's not my fault – it's just the way they are.

In your case, it's possible that something about you just rubs your colleague the wrong way.  If this really distresses you, you could ask one of your friends (not someone at work) what it could be.  Your appearance, clothes, voice, scented products, hair style – people's feelings about such things aren't always rational, and not even always conscious.

they probably dont like you for some reason

Not everyone is going to like you.   What does it say?   That you go to work, do your job and avoid office politics.

This happens to all of us at one time or another. It's impossible to like, or be liked by everyone. It could be down to a person's aura, the feeling they get of or from someone that affects the way they feel towards that person. I read once that it takes only three seconds for a person to decide their opinion of someone just based on how they look and dress. One doesn't have to do anything wrong for someone to decide they don't want to be friendly towards you.

You may have done something they considered offensive, even though you didn't see it that way. I work with a girl who acts very standoffish to me, but is nice to everyone else. I have no idea why, as I get along well with everyone else.

I may ask her if a good opportunity comes up ...or maybe I won't. Some people just don't mesh.

It shows the colleague has another side that others have not seen.   It is no reflection on you.