Dom asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 3 weeks ago

1930's houseclothes?

What did people wear when chilling at home back then? Did they have trackie bottoms? 

• PAMELA

No, they dressed a bit more formally, look up 30's costume.

A lot would depend on where they lived (climate) and their socio-economic status.

Farmers or ranchers would dress a lot differently than European immigrants in an winter urban setting, or society folks on Long Island in the summertime, even indoors.

I will say that even in the 50s I was always dressed to receive guests by 9:00 in the morning, and didn't change until after dinner, for bed. That included polished shoes on my feet, a presentable ensemble, and gloves and hat ready at the door in case I wanted to go outside.

My mother used to wear dresses that they called "house dresses" back in those days. Now you would find them in lounge wear. My father wore pants and a shirt or a pullover sweater.

• pearlmar
      3 weeks agoReport

My mother did, my father wore regular shoes, the ones he had worn to work.  I don't think he had any slippers.