For pome puree, should I add butter before mashing or add it after with the warm milk and cream?

I made Pomme Puree at home using a recipe and it came out very nice, however i found that adding the butter with the milk and cream took a bit too long to incoporate and it started going gloopy quickly. 

I am wondering if it would be better to add the butter to the potatoes and then mash and pass through a seive. Then add the warmed milk and cream? 

What are you thoughts on this? 

• Goerge
    Favorite Answer

Add it after but not with the cream. Add the fat first which will help the potatoes become a little hydrophobic.

REMEMBER TO SALT YOUR WATER

Mash potatoes

Add butter and continue mashing.

Add enough cream/milk to thin them to your liking.

Remember that Yukon gold will bring out the best in your recipe. Sure, Russets are starchy and popular but Yukon Gold potatoes really are better. Stay away from the waxy varieties.

Your potatoes should be JUST tender enough so your knife passes through the potato. We aren't looking for premashed potatoes because when they are over-boiled they lose too much of their starch.

NEVER PEEL YOUR POTATOES!!!! Unless you feel like it. They add so much flavor. Go ahead and remove any blemishes because those black/brown spots taste horrible.

• denise

I usually add the butter first after I've broken down the potatoes a little, mash some more, then add the milk until its mixed to the desired consistency.

• Speed

We usually melt the butter in a measuring cup, then add the milk or cream, mix together as much as it will, and warm the liquid but not to boiling. It blends quite nicely.