Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 3 weeks ago

My dog died and i can't get over it?

I had her for 13 full years and got her when i was only 5. My little best friend passed away 5 days ago. I can't stop crying my parents suggested me to get another dog but i don't ever wanna go thru that again. It's too painfull i didn't go to school for 3 days. I feel so empty and broken, and i feel like noone understands. My mom cried a bit with me but got over it in less then a day. And they keep telling me things will get better and that i'm overreacting, i feel like they don't even care. And i hate being a crybaby about it but i can't stop thinking about it. I saved her favorite toy on my desk and everytime i even look at something that reminds me of her i start histerically crying. I don't think i will ever get thru this it hurts so much and it litteraly made me depressed. I don't know who to talk to at this point i just want someone to hug me and acctually understand how i feel. But noone cares

Favorite Answer

What your feeling is completely normal. I went through it once with my cat. (Yes a cat is different than a dog) but this cat acted just like a dog. I had him trained with certain things and he knew what a lot of phrases/words meant. I got him when I was 6 or 7. He was my best friend and I loved him more than anything and he loved me. We had a special bond that every kid dreams of having with an animal. I loved him so much and still do and always will. He got sick in 2015 and the vets misdiagnosed him and it ended up being severe kidney failure by the time they figured it out and it was too late to do anything. I cried for weeks after he was put to sleep. I felt hopeless. I had urges that I felt like I needed to see him just 1 last time and I couldn’t, there was nothing I could do about it. I got depressed and I thought I would never get over it. A few years have passed and trust me things do get better. I still miss him and think of him time to time but not as bad as it used to be. Time is what you need. You don’t believe it now (neither did I) but it WILL get better. And getting another dog (just give it a few weeks or months) will help eventually. I now have 2 cats after my baby passed away, but I love them differently than I loved Keekee (the cat that passed) they will never replace the pet that died but will help fill the hole that’s missing in your heart. Trust me, it gets better. Best of wishes to you. :)

Losing a pet is really horrifying,  We lost a cat not too long ago.  Just so sad.

• CharP

Your grief is real - you've lost a beloved family member.  Time will heal your broken heart...trust me.

• justin

Hugs u tight. I am a hugger and id be glad if ud lean on me through this. send me a mesage my insta is camaro codybattery my email camaro33125cody@gmail.com or usa my text now number is 717 516 0310 and my facebook is camaro elfyboy with a pink sword art online anime picture. I am not a poster so don't worry if i have nothing up. it is too complicated for me

She's in heaven now.  You'll see her once you get there.  :-)  Take care.

I understand what you're going through in some ways, because i went through this with my dog, too. And at the time, i was much older than you are right now.

It's difficult to lose a loved one, and our dogs are part of our families. It takes time to get through our grief, and you're not over reacting. You're very sensitive about this and it's quite ok.

We go through a lot of different phases when we lose someone. That's how grief is. One day you will finally come to accept the fact your dog has gone over the Rainbow Bridge. And you might get another dog once you recover from this loss.

So sorry for what you're going through. I'm sure you gave your dog a great life and that you were a source of love and comfort for her. x

• Linda

My cat who was 13 passed away 4 days ago and it is normal to feel sad for a long time and I miss her. I think of all of the good memories but I am sad like you. Time went by so fast and I keep thinking of her. It feels like something is missing. I lost other animals and it does get easier with time.

• Anna
      3 weeks agoReport

Sorry for your loss. I love cats.

I can recommend a book based on good evidence that it will help - How to Survive the Loss of a Love.

https://www.amazon.com/Survive-Loss-Love-Peter-McW...

Authoritative Guide to Self-Help Resources for Mental Health, which rates books based on polls of more than 3,000 professionals, gives this book its highest rating in the chapter  on grief.

I'm sure that you are heartbroken.  My wife and I are oldsters now, but we have gone through three dogs.  

Every living thing eventually dies.  That is just part of a life cycle.  There is nothing you can do but overcome your grief.  There is nothing that strangers on Yahoo Answers can do, other than offer you our condolences.

Go back to school and resume normal activities - and you will feel quite a bit better.  Time heals all wounds.

its normal to feel that way, maybe you should get another dog, it might take your mind off the one that died, im sure your dog wouldve wanted you to do that