Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentLaw & Legal · 3 weeks ago

Is my mom entitled to a compensation?

My mom has a type of job as a caregiver. Basically she cooks for an old woman and do cleaning around the house. She’s been working there for 4 months. However, my mom has been having behavioural issues with her the old woman wouldn’t want to let her come inside the house; sometimes she blocks/locks the door or makes up excuses that she doesn’t need my mom’s help. Yesterday the old woman went wildly she slammed the door on her and didn’t let her in at all and my mom had to return home. My mom spoke to the ow family they said they’ll console her sort of thing. She told them she wouldn’t continue working if this persists. Next day, one of the ow relative showed up to my house to return my mom’s belongings and picks up the house keys. Now my mom is jobless and in limbo. Is my mom entitled to a compensation because she didn’t get fired

<<She told them she wouldn’t continue working if this persists>

In some locations, this is the same as quitting. She would not be entitled to any compensation.

You didn't say if someone made a written contract with your mom to hire her, for a paid job. Second of all if a contract is not made then I think it would be wise to ask, for money upfront before working. Because someone can choose NOT to pay!

Of course not.  She is entitled to NOTHING.  She is only entitled to payment for the "work she performs".  If and when she is called back to work, and she decides to go back, then her earnings will begin again.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
  • Judy

no she's not entitled to anything.

• n2mama

In the U.S. she would not be entitled to anything. Depending on perspective she either quit because she told them she wouldn’t keep working there, or she was fired by the family. Either way, she is not entitled to anything.

She can apply for unemployment.....but she got fired so she would have to prove her claim.

she might be, she should talk to a lawyer about it

• Maxi

"Is my mom entitled to a compensation because she didn’t get fired" ...she did get fired and no she is not 'entitled' to compensation

Does she have any documentation for this job?  Has she not been paid for the time she was working?  By 'Is my mom entitled to a compensation', are you referring to what she should have earned in the future?