Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 3 weeks ago

Removing silicone sealant stains from clothes?

Somehow managed to get clear silicone over the back of a pair of somewhat decent trousers and I don't really wanna throw them out.

Some of it came of by scraping it with a fingernail, but most of it's greasy looking patches that won't come off.

I've tried dabbing them with a microfibre cloth soaked with rubbing alcohol and then acetone, tried dishwashing liquid and a toothbrush... 

I don't know what else to do. Anybody have any advice?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • In
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Buy new trousers and retire that pair for yard work.  Silicone sealant cannot be removed once it has cured.

• 3 weeks ago

You can't. The whole point about silicone sealant is that it is virtually impossible to remove. The stuff you can get to remove it from baths when you replace the sealant will destroy your clothes.

• 3 weeks ago

Take them to the dry cleaners

• Jason
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

Try lacquer thinner 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • There is a silicone sealer remover that you can get from a hardware store. However, it's expensive and there's no guarantee that it will remove the residual patches. It's probably cheapest to buy some new trousers and keep the old ones for next time you work with silicone sealer.

• 3 weeks ago

Put the trousers in the freezer for a few hours. This will cause the caulk to harden, and it should peel off with your fingernail or a butter knife. If there's any leftover caulk, carefully scrape away at it with a sharper knife or scissors. Be very careful not to cut the trousers. If rubbing alcohol doesn't work to remove the residue, buy a chemical cleaner made for clothing. They even sell stain removers designed for silicone, although others will work.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.