Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 3 weeks ago

Would a property management place meet the city gas company to turn the gas on?

I need to turn the gas on to make sure the heater is working in a vacant unit. When I called the city, they said it would be in a four hour window of time they would show up. I have to work, but I do have a property management company. Do you think they will go there to do this? I doubt the city will text me or management to tell us they're on their way. It would be difficult for either one of us to sit in an empty, cold unit for four hours waiting for them. I really can't miss work.

All you can do is call your manager & ask.  That is not something they normally do (unless otherwise stated in your contract) so they would have the right to charge you for the extra service. 

If mgmt. company agrees, they will probably charge you the employees hourly rate for sitting there..

It depends on your contract with the property management.  Most property management companies I know would be the entity responsible for making sure the property unit heater works, thus would be the responsible party to allow access by the utility.  So I am scratching my head why it is your problem if contracted with property management.

You can call the property management company and ask them

how should we know? be prepared to pay them extra to sit there for 4 hours unless your contract specifically  state they are responsible for utility management.  They can sit in the car with the heat on, although in some areas idling is illegal.

is electric off also?  is not they can bring a space heater.

Your company might but if it's not in their usual list of services, you will get charged for it.

Maybe the person waiting could sit in another unit (one that isn't cold) while waiting.

Or you could schedule it for a day when you are having work done on another unit (renovations, plumbing, whatever) and have the person working in that unit meet the gas company worker.

Probably. They might charge you an extra fee.

• Maxi

If you pay property management for 4 additional hours work, sure they will.........

Any property I guess