Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesSan Francisco · 3 weeks ago

is the Castro neighborhood of San Francisco high in crime ?

• RP
    6 days ago

If I had to guess, I'd think it were just the opposite.

• DEBS

"High Crime"..... no.  Crime?  Sure.  All areas of big cities have crime.  Castro has a lot of people, a lot of night life, and a lot activity.  Property crime exists because of this.  Violence, gangs, etc, however isn't bad.  In general, one needs to have a decent income to rent or own in the area.

Safe is a relative term.

Crimes happen everywhere in cities. 

Big city rules:

1. Don't leave ANYTHING in your car even if you are only going to be gone for 5 minutes. Thieves can get into your car in 15 seconds

2. Don't flash a lot of cash or expensive toys [camera, tablet, phone, jewelry]

3. Be aware of what is going on around you. If something feels off get yourself into a cab or an open business immediately.

4. Don't overindulge in any mood altering substances, this isn't a good idea for anybody but when you are in a place that you are unfamiliar with it is a seriously bad idea.

5. Plan your routes of travel inside and don't rely on being able to whip out your phone for directions. I once saw a guy in front of his hotel looking so intently at his phone that he didn't see the young man coming at him to steal his phone. It happened even before I could say "watch out" refer back to BCR #3.

The Castro is one of the safer neighborhoods of SF. It is/was meant to be a safe haven for LGBT, but certainly not crime free. Most “crimes” in the Castro are probably related public nudity or intoxication, with occasional muggings/robberies. Be vigilant everywhere you go.