lanie asked in PetsDogs · 3 weeks ago

does shock collar have psychologial affect on dog?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Jojo
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Absolutely, as its forcing the dog to obey through compulsion and it really has no choice but to obey or be punished with pain. 

This can cause multiple problems in how the dog reacts to events.A dog should obey because it RESPECTS its leader/ owner and wants to please them. Yes, some very hard natured dogs may NEVER respect a human and a Shock collar MAY be the last resort to `force` it to obey, but a dog that like should never be kept as a pet dog and should only be kept by professional dog handlers who keep the dog for a specific purpose. ( I`m not talking about lap dogs here as anyone who can`t train a lap dog and uses a shock collar should be horse whipped. imo.A shock collar can also be used to train a hard headed sheep chasing dog NOT to chase sheep, but the device should only be used in the hands of an expert in using it at just the right time. Many dogs have been ruined by improper use of the shock collar and its use for the wrong reasons. It`s NOT a substitute for real positive training and a dog will never have the same bond with an owner that uses shocks and pain to try and train their dog as an owner who trains the dog with rewards and mutual respect. JMO.

Source(s): GSD owner for 56 years.
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Yes, they make the dog more disciplined 

• 3 weeks ago

YES - ABSOLUTELY ALWAYS in one way or another and never in a positive way. 

Learn to train without using such methods.  You will never have a dog who truly bonds with you for the right reasons if you resort to training like this.  

• Jojo
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

absolutely Lorraine. A friend of mine uses a shock collar on my dogs brother and pinch collar and the lack of a true bond between her and the dog is so obvious, compared to the bond between me and MY dog. 

• y
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

When they go off by themselves and won't shut off they do.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Goerge
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

That's the idea. Someone says come on Dog and dog doesn't. After enough training with the shock collar the dog should connect the word come with pain and the dog doesn't like pain. It's a psychological deterrent for BAD or stupid people and dogs. If a person has to resort to something like a shock collar there are some definite discipline issues at play. They talk to their dog all nice when they are correcting their dog and the dog gets confused. Put some BASS in that voice. YOU are the alpha. I've also seen people who use them to call their dog, sans their voice, at times. Too bad some people have dogs. They don't deserve them and only use them as a tool. No offense against work dogs who aren't tools.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.