abcdef
abcdef asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 3 weeks ago

Does anyone have a good recipe for Pastitsio - a Greek style lasagna?

The one I've got is very rich calling for a high fat cheese in the béchamel sauce. I'd like something less fatty.

• CB
    Favorite Answer

Ina Garten has a good recipe - note: for the bechemel you could use fat free half and half in place of cream and use less Parmesan although that is a medium fat cheese.  Pastitsio is a fairly forgiven recipe - just keep quantities consistent for the various ingredients. I often make a white sauce with just milk, flour, spices and thicken to the correct consistency. 

• CB
      3 weeks agoReport

Land-O-Lakes makes the Half and half - we also get fat free mozzarella (by Kraft) that is acceptable.

• denise

I dont, I'm sorry, Why not just amend the cheese for a lighter one, You could also use a sunflower spread instead of butter in the bechamel too.

You don't even need to use cheese at all in the sauce. Or just use a little. Or only use cheese on the topping. Pastisio is a very flexible recipe and you can alter any part of it to suit yourself. My recipe calls for kefalotyri, parmesan or romano. Those are all strong-flavoured cheeses so you don't need much. Kefalotyri, if you can find it, has half the fat of the other two. I haven't tried it myself, but manchego cheese might work and it's only 15% fat content. Any cheese that has decent flavour is going to have fat in it. I've never tried using feta in a sauce but it's fairly low fat and flavourful.

I do not add cheese in the Bechamel sauce. 

If you want the flavor of the cheese but not just as much of it sprinkle it on do not stir it into the sauce. 

I am not sure sorry but it could go either way.