CMcL asked in Food & DrinkEntertaining · 4 weeks ago

Slimming world christmas snacks?

My brother and sister-in law are coming over for Christmas dinner. My sister-in-law has lost something like 6 sone through slimming world over teh last four years.

She does eat 'cheat' foods at Christmas time, but as she is having an early lunch with her own extended family and a small late dinner with ours, she mentioned to common friends that she cannot have any snack foods over teh holidays.

I normally do a small nibbles platter late evening, but I am struggling to find a way to find out about what syns each brand has, in order to provide her with a few options.

I don't want to just do biscuits and cakes which she will avoid. I thought a veg dipping platter would work, but apparently lots dips are bad on slimming world! Can anyone give my any (UK only) specifics?

Favorite Answer

Celery and dip, baby carrots and dip, and so on.  Yogurt is an interesting one you might give a shot- sounds weird but man is it good.

You can grill/fry veggies which is different enough to be a treat- not for everyone but I love grilled cucumber.  Shicobobs are a good option with lots of veg and some healthy meat like chicken.

Fruits or fruit salad- watermelon, cherries, oranges, mangos, whataver.  Cut em up and mix em in a bowl or stab toothpicks into cubes depending on how fancy you're trying to be.

Roasted nuts.

• a large battle axe, skin self only lightly as it could otherwise hit an artery 

• Jerry

Go with the platter of celery, olives, etc. Provide several dips including at least 2 "healthier choice" type dips like seasoned low fat yogurt. 

Along with this, consider that people who choose a highly restrictive diet are the ones responsible for sticking to that diet. It is this lady's responsibility to NOT EAT what she ought not eat -- whether or not you provide a substitute. It's THOUGHTFUL of you to want to include choices that will give her pleasure. But if she doesn't find anything she cares to eat, that's NOT YOUR PROBLEM. If you think she's eaten so little she must be quite hungry, you CAN offer to poach a couple eggs for her. But it wouldn't be rude to NOT make that offer. 

Just offer veggies and dip. She can choose to not eat dip. Shes an adult, offer her the freedom to bring a dish if she needs special dietary accommodations or she can just pick from what's offered

• denise

Sorry, not sure, Can I suggest Google Slimming World for any info?

• Cammie

Go for low or no carb snacks.A salad to start the meal.Shrimp cocktail as a starter.

Veggies with a dipping sauce is great.There are tons of ideas on line.

Holiday snack or appetizer plates in my family often contain things like smoked salmon (lox), pickled herring, olives, clementine oranges and nuts. 

Holiday food is already heavy, so we try to avoid things like crackers, bread, cheese, salami, etc. 

There is nothing wrong with serving a fruit and cheese plate as a late snack.  

Remember, all guests need to exercise some self-discipline and are not required to eat everything that is offered.   And hosts do not need to cater all offerings to one guest's preference.

Snacks over one or two days will have little impact on one's weight.