Henry asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 2 months ago

Should teachers be required to use students preferred pronouns? Why or why not?

Favorite Answer

No.  Should I refer to your car as a boat just because you’d prefer I did?   Of course not.  We should refer to things as they are.   The whole idea of identifying people as something they are not should go away.  

If a person wants to be referred to as the opposite sex, this person should have a sex change operation and have their sex legally changed.  

• oh cecilia2 months agoReport

We refer to cars and boats by pronouns all the time. Ever heard a seaman call his boat a her? We do that with inanimate so what's wrong with doing it with humans? Besides, we use pronouns just to make it clear who we are talking to/about. Go outside and take a walk or drink some water, dude. 

I prefer the pronoun (and I'm joking here):

"right-handed farm-icle semi alien quasi white black 100% hetero", and sometimes I'm more merman.

Since everyone can make up their own, we cannot expect teachers to know them all on a daily basis. It's absurd!!!

• 2 months agoReport

This sign isn't being inclusive, I identify as a pumpkin and am not represented. Pumphobic bigot

• John

Is today joke day? In what way do "students" set rules? Students don't set rules.

And schools don't set rules unless that whole shebang decides prison is for them.

Seriously.

Regardless of answer, Democrats may need to consider the question/subject carefully from a political standpoint.  Because not only do the "preference" of pronouns and/or gender go too far left for a number of moderates and even those socially liberal, it's incomprehensible to a majority of the country and as a result could prove invaluable politically for Trump and Republicans in 2020.  Given the unprecedented importance of next year's election, everything should be considered.

I think so out of respect for gender neutral people

No, a boy is a boy and a girl is a girl. 

Like , it and we? What are you babbling about and who cares? Is this some huge problem we have in education? What was the reason it failed you?

• Ann

I still use the words "Indians" and "Blacks." I'm not going to even remember the "students' preferred nouns" let alone use them.

• Izabel2 months agoReport

You’re not going to remember he/him and she/her? (
      Or they/them but that’s not very common)

Nope.  Teachers in America should use proper American English.

• Henry2 months agoReport

American English is proper English. The tea bandits lost the war. Learn the rules.

Depends on how young the student is. If he/she/it has not reached puberty then no. Teachers shouldn't be expected to reinforce a child's confusion by catering to their requests. If they are a teen and going through transition treatments, then while I wouldn't agree with it, I'd say the teacher would be forced to oblige.

• bluebellbkk

I disapprove so strongly of teens being allowed to go through such treatments. When they're 21, sure. But the scope for making a horrendous mistake is so enormous.