Do you think that my car is totaled? ?

After the wreck my airbags did not deploy and i can still move my transmission around. It's just that my front is pushed in with the radiator damaged but the engines ok.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

Surely you'd need an insurance assessor, or at least a qualified mechanic to advise you.   We had an accident that sounds similar (no airbag deployment but a front end pushed in) and just had the front end repaired so it was 'good as new'.   We were going south from Toronto in January following a snowplow! who having polished the freeway, had run out of grit and did a U-turn (left) onto the opposite carriageway to go back to the depot.   No signals and no chance of not hitting him as we were on sheet ice.  Such fun!    My husband was fined $30 USD after taking the advice of a lawyer customer who said if we wanted to travel south of the border again, pay up.  We had a lease car at the time so the cost of repair was covered by the company we were leasing it from.

You'd need to make sure the chassis is undamaged?

• 4 weeks ago

'Totaled' is a term that car insurance companies use when they determine that the cost to fix a vehicle exceeds the cost to simply pay the vehicle off and write it off as a loss.

You will need to take the vehicle to a body shop so that someone with an experienced eye (and possibly some disassembly) can make the determination of whether or not the vehicle is repairable, and if so, how much it would cost to fix it.

Your insurance company will point you at a shop to take it to, and when they make a determination of if and how it will be fixed, then you will either get a check from the insurance company to make these repairs (at which time, you can have the shop perform the repairs, take it to another shop if you can find one to do it cheaper, fix it yourself, or just pocket the money and keep driving the vehicle (assuming it can be driven).

If they 'total' it, then they will pay off your loan with your bank/financial institution, and you will be free and clear from that vehicle.  You will have the option of buying the vehicle back (usually for pennies on the dollar) at which point in time you can fix it and get a 'salvage title').

The only thing you have to be careful of is if they cut you a check to have it repaired and you don't have it fixed to 100%, then if you have another wreck, make another claim to the insurance, and the shop that inspects it sees that there is damage unrelated to the most recent wreck, then the insurance company can be off the hook for paying for it again.

• don r
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

If your car is worth more than the repair costs, it may not be totaled. What car is it?

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

How much is the car worth? You'll have to replace the grill, radiator & fan. Possibly the fenders & paint to match.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Depends on the age of the vehicle and its value.

• y
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Totaled is basically when cost of repairs are close to or greater then the value of the car.  For anyone to say yes or now, they would need to know the value of the car.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.