joe asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

Why is it possible for anyone to abandon a dog?

You get back home from work and the dog is behind the door waiting for you, wagging his tail like crazy and so happy to see you. Not caring whether you are tall, fat, slim, ugly or have bad breath....

How can anyone abandon a being that unconditionally loves you?

• "Why is it possible for anyone to abandon a dog?"

The SIMPLE answer is that very few places have a law penalising it.

A deeper answer is that Mankind aka humans are NOT born & raised to be equally humane & kind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infanticide might open your eyes to how FEW human tribes/races do NOT have a tradition of exposing deformed or unwanted babies to the elements, or sacrificing children to that era's Gods.

And because hundreds of thousands of UNSUITABLE people have obtained and will continue to obtain dogs until it is illegal to let anyone OBTAIN a dog or BREED a litter until they have:

💥1: passed an (oral or written) test to prove that they know enough about ✫the care & needs of dogs in general and of the BREED in particular that they hope to own, ✫ the vaccination requirements of dogs in that region, ✫ the local council's BY-LAWS relating to annual licensing & rights of neighbours & areas that dogs are allowed in versus banned from, ✫why they want a dog or a bìtch (gender being important) of that breed, and can give the NAMES and LOCATIONS of a couple of ✫vet clinics and ✫dog training clubs/groups within their driving range; have proved that they have a ✫stable income adequate to feed-&-house-&-pay-medical-costs etc for the family plus their home plus a dog of that kind

(people who fail at stage 1 cannot reapply for the test in less than 1 calendar year);

💠2: their household & property have been inspected (by an SPCA officer? by an ACO/DCO?) and ✫each household member and the ✫fencing of the property plus the ✫penning provided are declared in writing by that officer to be suitable for a dog of THAT breed

(I haven't worked out a suitable delay before failures at stage 2 can re-apply to be re-inspected - I think it will depend on how long it takes to get rid of an unsuitable lodger or for an unsuitable child to be trained to be sensible around that breed);

💥3: the local borough/city/district/regional council then issues a:

"PERMIT to OBTAIN a (specific breed or breed-mix) DOG"

or

"PERMIT to OBTAIN a (specific breed or breed-mix) BÌTCH"

that the holder must keep available throughout the time that he/she owns a pooch that fits the Permit.

💠4: Anyone who SUPPLIES a pooch to someone who does NOT have a PERMIT for the breed(s) & gender specified automatically loses their own dogs & permit for life.

💥5: There will be re-inspections (by the ACO/DCO or an SPCA warrant officer?) 1 month after the allowed pooch is obtained, and again 5 or 6 months later. Failure to pass the re-inspection results in the dog being impounded until a Court makes a decision on whether to return the pooch or euthanase it or supply it to a suitable dog-rescue organisation for re-homing.

💠6: Anyone who wishes to breed from his/her dog or bìtch must first obtain a BREEDING PERMIT. Continuation of the permit depends on passing random re-inspections on 1 to 3 occasions per annum. Failure to pass a re-inspection incurs the same outcome as in 💥5 above, but in some cases the inspector has the authority to issue a written requirement that SPECIFIC problems be overcome within a specified short time-span, otherwise impounding occurs.

The ETHICAL dog-rescue organisations do those inspections plus have the pooches neutered so that they cannot make money for puppy-millers. But others have lower standards and consider that "ANY home is better than no home".

• "You get back home from work and the dog is behind the door waiting for you, wagging his tail like crazy and so happy to see you. Not caring whether you are tall, fat, slim, ugly or have bad breath...."

When I am not home there is never more than one dog inside - the others are in their individual pens. Displayed is tne most recent pic I can find since my Drive C:/ crashed, showing hiow each of my GSDs pleaded as soon as I stood by the kitchen window to make my breakfast. That is NOT a "Sit" that I commanded before taking the photo - it was their own observation & instinct at work.

It could be that the tail is wagging frantically because the pooch has been bored out of its mind and realises that pleasing you is the only chance it has to get outside to go toilet and explore some interesting scent trails.

• "How can anyone abandon a being that unconditionally loves you?"

♦a: It DOESN'T unconditionally love THAT person, and the feeling is mutual to both dog & person.

♦b: It has savaged or killed a friend or pet loved by that person but he/she doesn't want the guilt of actually killing/euthanasing the pooch so has used the "exposure" method mentioned in the Wikipedia page I linked you to.

♦c: The person has lost his/her income, cannot afford to advertise for a new home, knows no-one suitable to offer the pooch to, and has no way to get the pooch to a dig-rescue charity.

There are no doubt several other possible explanations.

ETHICAL breeders always conduct the checks in 💠2, and require that if the buyer falls on hard times the pooch is offered back to the breeder. There are MILLIONS of people who regard themselves as "breeders", but few of them are ETHICAL.

Kreaky Kiwi - first pup in 1950, GSD breeder & trainer since 1968

I had to do it because a woman was coming over to my place and said she didn't like dogs. 

That wouldn't happen to me because the dog wouldn't be behind the door. Would be in the backyard.

I have a six month old dog and it annoys the hell out of me. I've thought about finding it a new home a handful of times, but I just don't have the heart to give her up and not know what kind of life she'll have.

Some people just don't feel for animals ...and some people don't realize or care that animals feel.

• TB12

Sometimes it's not the owner that abandons the dog, your new partner either doesn't like the dog or is jealous of your attention to it and one day you come home from work and they inform you that, sadly, your dog "ran away", "gee, I guess you left the gate open.

Same thing can happen with after a fight with a partner and they want to hurt you,

Sometimes a person knows they have to get rid of the dog but doesn't want to take it to a shelter where it will be put down so they decide to let it go in the mistaken belief that it can take care of itself ( it can't ), or they hope someone will find it and adopt it.

Some people view the animal as nothing more than an object to throw away whenever you're finished playing with it,

Sometimes an animal is stolen and abandoned for whatever reason,, perhaps a back yard breeder stole it and then found out it was neutered,

Sometimes a dog does get loose and the owner simply doesn't care.

It's not but sadly it happens.    People say they have to work to have pets which I happen to disagree with.    We didn't have any hounds until it was possible for me to stop working full time.   I knew what my priorities were and that sometimes we have to do what's right, for the pet!!

I would just say what you suggest isn't 'abandonment' in the true sense of the word.    Maybe neglect if the dog spends long hours at home on his own.

Very easy, you just drive them to the forrest, let them out and drive away. Not exactly rocket science.

Source(s): It sure as hell was possible for me to abandon my dog
  • Dze

easy just drive a few miles and drop it off ...

• Sal*UK

In a world where peoplle kill babies and young children and each other - I despair of humanity. Dogs are awesome.

• Anna
      4 weeks agoReport

And his wife up the wall. I preferred to stay with my mum than my dad because of that stupid dog and its selfish owners and I love my mum and dad equally and love to see them both.

IKR we should be eating them instead, dog meat is delicious btw