It’s been awhile and I still can’t get a job. What should I do?

I have graduated highschool in July. And right now it has been exactly six months I couldn’t find a job. I kept on looking and looking and nothing happened. And when people finally got back to me, they were either very picky about interview dates or that they just weren’t flat out interested at all. However, I did get one interview request and I went for it. I went for the interview and I completely messed it up because I was too nervous. Honestly right now I just don’t know what to do anymore because I’m still looking but I feel so discouraged. I know that nobody ever says this but I want to work. I want someone to ask Me about my job and stuff like that. So what should I do? Should I start looking at something else instead (i.e,college courses)

?

• squidy

What kind of jobs are you looking at? Maybe you need to widen the range of what you're looking for. Your first job is hard because you kind of have no idea what's going on, so it might be good to look for easy jobs like a store or a coffee shop for a year or two, (or more, if you enjoy it) because they are much easier to get into and then you can get a much better idea of what having a job is like, so that when you're more confident, you will have a better time trying to get into more jobs. I was so nervous at my first interviews too, but now that I've been working a while I understand that they're not looking for a perfect little robot, they're looking for a person who can act normal and be a pleasant/cooperative coworker and not slack off or totally f*** up, so now I'm not nervous in interviews, because they just want to talk to you like a person and make sure you're not a disaster. Even in emails and over phone, it's better to communicate well than to try and be perfectly formal.

Another option is to look for internships and volunteer positions, because then you can learn a lot and meet people and ask questions, and that can really help you find a job. At this point I wouldn't suggest college, because it's way too expensive and you WILL be paying it off until you're at least in your 30s, and you won't be able to save for anything.

PS no matter what job you get, put your heart into your work, make it your personal responsibility to do the job well. Guaranteed you won't be successful otherwise, or happy.

• maria3 weeks agoReport

Im just looking at basic first starter jobs yet none of them ever got back to me!

They were picky about the interview dates? Of course they were, they're working, they're busy and they have schedules. If you can't make it work, they don't want to hire you right off the bat. They're seeing how flexible you are and refusal to come in for an interview when they want you to is a red flag right off the bat.

Interviews are tough. They get easier with practice.

Are you being picky about the job or just looking for anything? Many jobs want experience, which you don't have. That means you probably need to look at entry level jobs like fast food or retail.

If you want to go to college, look into it. But realize college costs money so don't just do it for something to do. You'll have to pay that money back eventually.

Some people formally apply for 20 jobs each day - and it still takes them months to find one.