D asked in SportsRunning · 4 weeks ago

How often should I change my running shoes?

4 Answers

Relevance
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

If you mean replace, it really depends on various factors and your own preference. Some people can tell by the way they feel after a run, if their shoes are wearing out. Others track their mileage carefully and replace their shoes at a set mileage. Common replacement miles are 300 - 500 (the heavier you are, the sooner they'll need replacing). Also, some brands/models of shoe just wear out faster than others, so you might get 500 miles out of one type of shoe but only 400 or less out of another brand/model.

This article gives you some basic guidelines to consider https://www.active.com/running/articles/when-to-re...

• 4 weeks ago

You should change your running shoes when they are worn out. But, there are different ways they can be worn out. They might lose too much cushioning, or they might become too flexible. They might be coming apart. They could be stretched to the point they no longer fit.

There is no hard-and-fast rule about knowing when your shoes are worn enough to replace them. Low price shoes will likely wear out faster.  If you run through puddles and mud a  lot, you might have to replace your shoes sooner. 

Other factors can include your weight, your running surface, and your running motion. 

I track miles for my shoes, and replace them when they have 500  miles on them.

• Jogger2425
      Lv 6
      4 weeks agoReport

By the way, running shoes have a shelf life:  Cushioning is typically EVA (a type of plastic) with bubbles. Gas can escape from the bubbles even when shoes are not being worn, reducing the cushioning.

• 4 weeks ago

A good rule of thumb is to replace your running shoes every 300–400 miles, depending on your running style, body weight, and the surface on which you run. Lighter runners can get new shoes at the upper end of the recommendation while heavier runners should consider replacement shoes closer to 300 miles.

Well Fit: https://www.verywellfit.com/signs-your-running-sho...

• 4 weeks ago

It depends if you run or walk in them. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.