Birth control and abortion ?

So I’ve recently found out I’m pregnant and have decided to get an abortion, I’ve made my mind up so what you feel on abortion isn’t the question. Anyway, I’m on the pills that you have for 21 days and then have a week break. I’m thinking the week I went on the pill I didn’t take proper persuasions as I’ve heard your not protected until 7 days but I thought it was only 3 as that’s what it was for my previous pill. I’m currently on my week break so due to start again on Wednesday. I have an appointment in the hospital on Friday and I know I have to bring and show medication but does anyone have any advice on if I should continue taking birth control through the abortion? 

Updated 5 days ago:

I don’t think people understood, I knew I wouldn’t need to continue birth control to prevent a pregnancy, it was the fact I’d need it for after the abortion and didn’t want my body to have to get used to starting the pill again if there was a few weeks break

• LizB
    Favorite Answer

Birth control is just synthetic versions of hormones your body produces *while* pregnant, so there's no point in continuing to take them, but risk for side effects or complications if you don't stop taking them now. You will be instructed by your doctor to avoid sex for a certain amount of time after the procedure (and you need to LISTEN because it's primarily about risk of serious infection), and she will also tell you when to start your BC again. You may also want to consider a longer-term form of BC, such as an IUD or arm implant.

• Edna

If you're pregnant and you're going to have an abortion on Friday, what on Earth would be the point in continuing to take birth control pills?  You can't get any more pregnant than what you already are.

You won't need to go back on birth control until about 6 weeks AFTER you have the abortion, or whenever your doctor clears you to have sex again - whichever comes first.

• Jason

When your child may be around 10 months old when he/she starts to react to you and smile at you making you his/ her favourite person, you would realize how foolish the idea of abortion would have been

Suppose you decided to have kids later on in your life and that child begins to behave as I mentioned above, you will regret your MISTAKE OF ABORTION which has happen earlier in your life and that regret won't go, believe me!

Don't do a thing which you will have to regret at a later stage in your life, your hardships now will ultimately end with time

I hope you would think twice!

Sort of a moot point to be taking birth control pills when you are pregnant isn't it?

not the sharpest knife in the drawer are you?

no you should not be taking your birth control pills

• Pippin

You don't take pills while pregnant. And you won't be having sex again for several weeks after. The folks at the clinic (early term abortions are not done at hospitals) will talk to you about birth control options. Your confusion about pill use suggests that a method you don't have to think about so much might be a better choice.)

Your doctor is the best source of advice for this question.  My opinion is that birth control pills are just hormones and that continuing to take your birth control during the time before and after the procedure would not matter.   

My only suggestion is asking about a DIFFERENT form of birth control since this one FAILED to protect you from pregnancy.  Even if it was your fault for not using it correctly - it still means it failed easily for you and you might want to consider asking about other birth control methods.  Maybe an implant or a depo shot would be better for  you so you don't have to go through this again.

• Jill

If you're already pregnant there's no point in taking birth control until you either have an abortion or a baby. Talk to your doctor about when you should restart your birth control and which birth control is best for you.