EMS System?

How do I solve this?

You are out for a walk and notice the Moon in the sky at an azimuth of 165 degrees. The Moon is in a 1st quarter phase. What is the approximate clock time when you make this observation?

If the moon is in it's 1st quarter stage, then it would be at it's highest (and 180 degrees from the North horizon) at about 6pm. 

If the moon is at 165 degrees, then it's about an hour earlier than 6pm, as the Earth rotates at 15 degrees per hour, so... 5pm. 

Let's assume you're in the northern hemisphere, and that your "azimuth 165" means the same as S15E.

A first quarter moon rises at noon and crosses the meridian (due south) at sunset, so the solar time for the situation you describe is 5 p.m.

The time would span a 7 day period and your longitude would dictate the time.

Approximately sundown to midnight presuming your location 165 degrees and zero degree latitude.

• az_lender
      3 weeks agoReport

I think he means the moon appears to be at azimuth 165, not that the observer's position has anything to do with 165.  Certainly the question given has NOTHING to do with one's longitude!!

3 to 4 pm local time, not standard time. Yes, that is a guess. I am not going to take the time to double check our find a source tight now because it's almost 4:40 am where I am. Good morning!

I am making NO assumptions about YOUR location on Earth. You said the MOON'S azimuth is 165°, not YOUR latitude.