Why are chickens sometimes referred to as cocks even though they lack a penis?
- NatashaLv 73 months ago
It's because 'cock' is an abbreviation of the word, 'cockerel'. A cockerel is a young male chicken.
- Jim MoorLv 73 months ago
Chicks are undistinguished newborns or young,
“cockerels” are male birds up to a year old,
“pullets” are female birds up to a year old.
“cock” describes a male bird over a year old.
“hens” are female birds over a year old.
- When birds pick on a sick or timid bird, they are "henpecked" usually causing death in the wild.
- Chickenfeed is also known as 'scratch'.
- Hens do NOT need to be with a rooster to lay eggs, most eggs we eat are not 'fertilized' but it's ok if the are. She lays an egg every day or 2.
- Since the US washes eggs, this damages its naturally protective cuticle. It's cleaner but goes bad quicker!
++ When a rooster mates a hen, his injected semen is stored in numerous sperm storage tubules (SSTs) located in the area where the hen’s uterus joins the vagina. That is, provided the hen likes the rooster. If she doesn’t, she can squirt out the semen to avoid hatching his offspring. Hens can store sperm, even from multiple roosters, for about a month, and then start laying unfertilized eggs again.Source(s): I'm farm raised!
- busterwasmycatLv 73 months ago
It is the other way around, doofus. Males (roosters) are cocks. Your penis got the slang term from them, not they got named after the penis.
- mokrieLv 73 months ago
Cocks are the male roosters. And they DO have a penis.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- Anonymous3 months ago
A rooster, also known as a cockerel or cock, is a male gallinaceous bird, with cockerel being younger and rooster being an adult male chicken (Gallus gallus domesticus). ... He guards the general area where his hens are nesting, and attacks other roosters that enter his territory.Cock: A male chicken, also called a rooster. Cockerel: A young rooster, under 1 year old.
- InLv 73 months ago
Roosters are referred to as cocks. They don't have a penis but they do have a cloaca for bumping uglies.
- JenLv 63 months ago
Cock is another word for a rooster. They aren't referring to the crass, slang term for a penis.