What's the point in taking prenatal vitamins that specializes in eye health if your child by age 2 has sight problems?

My son is now 3 1/2 and since he was 2 my ex husband and my parents have all noticed that his left eye looked lazy and then we noticed it in his right eye and let his pediatrician know right away. He has gaze asymmetry and is near sighted. He was seen and diagnosed back in June w/ gaze asymmetry and nearsightedness and we were told to make sure he gets plenty of sunlight to help his vision in order to keep him from wearing glasses at such  an early age. He's my first and only child and I tried to go by the book and do everything right while I was pregnant with him down to the prenatal vitamins I took to make sure he would be healthy and the brand I took all through my pregnancy said it specialized in bone health brain development in eyesight. Was it only while I was pregnant with him that it helped his eyesight and the first two years and then after that is eyesight get mad and he develops asymmetry gaze? It breaks my heart at night time sometimes when he looks at me and it looks like he's not looking right at me. It's not very noticeable except at night time when he gets sleepy but still I feel so bad it is eyes look like that. Are prenatal vitamins even worth it when it comes to having to take them for being pregnant? Over 3 and a half years later, I am so put out with that prenatal vitamin company. I feel like I damaged his eyes by taking those vitamins when I thought I was doing everything by the book to produce a healthy child.

• LizB

The prenatal vitamins you took have NOTHING to do with your child having some underdeveloped eye muscles. And with time and early intervention by specialists, there is a good chance your son's vision will improve.

Well vitamins can only do so much, maybe it would have been worse had you not taken the vitamins.  Some things also clear up as the child gets older, I had a lazy eye as a child, that was not noticed til I went to school and started having trouble reading.  I took come therapys, using a ruler when reading and vitamins and stuff and have no problem now.  Also was this a NATIONAL well known brand or an off brand or vitamin.  Reading comments to other people, unless you had an ACTUAL test to test for family eye problem, just remembering what other people had or did not have is not really going to help.  It could also have been a random mutation, sometimes things just happen.

• Jessica H3 weeks agoReport

It was a top and very expensive Walgreens brand. My obgyn(s) wouldn't prescribe refer me anything but morning sickness medicine. I even showed them the bottle of the prenatal vitamins I was taking and they said they were perfect. They pretty much went along w/ anything I said.

• MissA

Vitamins are useful and can help prevent some issues that some babies have. They aren't magic that can prevent everything possible going wrong with your baby.

FYI this amount of angst over an imperfect kid does not make you look good.

GENETICS can NOT be changed by vitamins.  

In some cases, health issues in a child is related to something GENETIC and NOT something you did.

I have great eye sight.  My husband is blind in one eye and has poor vision in the other due to a genetic issue.

We have two children.  During my first pregnancy - I was not aware I was pregnant for the first five months due to issues with periods that would go missing on a regular basis without being pregnant in the past - so I just thought my period was doing it's typical vanishing act.  So - I did everything "wrong" for the first five months of my first pregnancy.  That child is fine.  On my second pregnancy - I knew at about six weeks - so I did everything right and had all the right care and vitamins ......etc.  That child has needed glasses since the age of four.  Although she does have vision in both eyes, we were told she has the same vision issues that her father has.

So - point is - if you think about any relatives - not just you and the father - but including grandparents and aunts and uncles - can you think of any relatives with vision issues.  It may be a genetic issue and that would mean that NOTHING you did caused it or would have prevented it.

• LizB
      3 weeks agoReport

@Jessica H - those genetic tests don't screen for lazy eye. They screen for about 400 inheritable genetic conditions, but lazy eye is not one of them.

Ever thought "maybe his vision could have been a LOT worse"?

Prenatal vitamins are helpful to prevent children from getting neural tube defects which can lead to spinal deformities. They help protect a baby when the women doesn't eat well or it careless with her health. They aren't a guarantee that your child will be born healthy or remain healthy after birth. And they don't cause eye abnormalities after birth.