What kind of dumbass holds this opinion?

Opinion: “I love it when the radio plays the SAME songs over and over and over!”

A Top 40 dumbass?  That's just a guess, you asked what kind.

What kind of a dumbass wastes his time complaining about a media form which obviously is not designed for him?

The radio format is designed for people who spend less than an hour on music a day, usually commuting. it isn't designed for someone who spends hours listening to music.

This is why I've got my mp3 player, satellite radio, and listen to a lot of sports/talk.

People might long for the "good old days," but really, radio has been like this for a long, long time.  Back in the day, it was called "Top 40" radio.  It consisted of a radio station's "hit parade" of 40 songs, played more or less in rotation, with one or two "oldies" (songs no longer on the hit parade), and one a couple "up and coming" new songs.  Depending on the length of the particular songs played, the station would cycle through the whole 40 songs somewhere between 3 to 4 hours, meaning that the entire "Top 40" would be played on each DJ's show.

By the time we hit the late 60's, more or less, that format had become "Top 20."  There was still a "hit parade" of 40 songs, but the top 20 got played twice as often as songs 21-40.  By this time, many stations had started programming shows dedicated to "oldies," so fewer former hits were played during the regular shows.  Also, program directors started the practice of designating one hour of each DJ's program to "Hits Only,." that is restricting that hour's music to the Top 40 only, with the Top 20 receiving twice the play as the Bottom 20.  This caused stations to cycle through those 40 tunes even faster, and they would turn over those 20 songs in a little over 2 hours.

At some stations, DJ's were required to 2 or 3 of the Top 5 hits every hour, which led to some of those songs being played 3 times during a 4 hour show.  And from what I hear, it's only gotten worse on those "today's hits" stations.

• Petter

Keep the dream alive. Don't dream it's over. ;)

That is pretty awful and it probably due to the greed of their parent companies.  Its better to listen to stations that specialize in older music, because you'll get a better variety.  Also, there's always our private music collections that we can enjoy, not to mention the online videos.  So, the heck with the bad radio stations!  We don't need 'em!

• Andrew

New account, Jackie Boy? That's at least three you've got there now. You had better make sure that they don't interact with one another. 

I hate it too when radio stations play the same songs over and over, but sadly, they don't control what plays--the parent company controls what plays. In the US, that control belongs to iHeartMedia, Inc., which owns some 850 radio stations across the US. They send lists of music to radio stations to play based on their research, and, of course, money from on-air commercials. 

I've spoken to DJs and they say they just can't play whatever they want--iHeartMedia won't allow it. Some stations do allow requests, but most airplay is controlled now. And, with the growing popularity of music streaming, radio stations are losing listeners more than ever, so it's important that they make each song count. 

I hear the same songs over and over every day. I don't worry because I make my own CDs using You Tube's vidoes--all for free using free software. Why pay? 

• Canines
      3 weeks agoReport

I don't work. I stay at home and borrow music from You Tube. Since you appear to be a saint...do you pay the musical artists a royalty fee when you watch their videos? Why not? They lose money when you watch their music videos--send them a check and show your appreciation...Mother Teresa. 

Americans love this! If you listen to American radio, you will find that it is not only repetitive, but bias towards American music.

This is why I abandoned American entertainment and I now enjoy my life 

people that hop on the bandwagon and in general, like pop, trendy music