Elise
Elise asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 9 months ago

Why don't we use solar power instead of oil to stop global warming?

because the billionaires would lose a LOT of money............

solar power is renewable source .. and using solar power instead of oil can minimize the ratio of prevailing polluted environment..

The oil companies pay huge amounts of money annually to lobby against the solar industry and to keep consumers reliant on oil. The average gallon of gas costs 1.5-3x as much as you actually pay at the pump, the government and the oil industry just subsidize the gas to make sure you keep buying it. They lose massive amounts of money in the process, but to them, it's better than going bankrupt and having no money at all. In a single year, we receive over 10,000x more power from the sun than we use globally, yet solar power is still viewed as a commodity/unnecessary/impossible. Why? Because the massive oil corporations that run our world have the money to create that perception and keep oil costs low enough to justify not switching. Frankly, they have to, otherwise they'll be out of business. It's very sad and it comes at the direct expense of mother earth, wildlife, and our own personal health. I dream of a day when reliance on carbon-based fuels is a thing of the past.

• JimZ

Go for it but don't include me in your we.  I prefer energy that works when I need it to and doesn't cost many times as much.

At this time my vehicle runs on gasoline so solar won't help it much.   I do heat my house with solar (wood) and the amount of electricity I use (80kwh/month) wouldn't make solar cost effective in 100 years.   When my present truck dies, I will go all solar with an electric vehicle if for nothing more than to stick it to the oil companies and electric company that have been sticking it to me for the last 30 years.

Where is global warming occurring? The Northern Hemisphere is experiencing the early onset of Winter and record breaking "cold".

Foremost the economics is not there. It doesn’t make sense to lock in your kWh price for the next 20 years. PV is getting cheaper but it can’t compete with large electric companies. PV right now is locking in around a 10 cent per kWh price. Most Utlities are closer to 7 cents and not a 20 year commitment. 

And PV is good for homes and small businesses. But not realistic with larger industrial load that has high voltage three phase power that can run all three shifts or 24 hours a day. 

Also, most electric generation plants either use coal, nuclear rods or natural gas. Not oil. 

People are becoming familiar nowadays.

• Cowboy

Our corporate overlords have decided that it's more profitable to keep draining the earth of ancient petrochemicals while heating our atmosphere to the Carboniferous Period.

• BB

Folks living near the Arctic Circle need to weigh in on this question.