I had diarrhea last week. Is my pill not effective? ?

I had diarrhea for six days last week. I took my pill every day. There were nights when I had diarrhea within two hours after taking my pill. I haven’t had any diarrhea anymore, I’ve been fine for 5 days. I had intercourse yesterday. Will my birth control be less effective since I was sick last week? I did not have intercourse while I was having diarrhea. I’m currently on my last pill and then I start the 7 day break. Will I get pregnant?

I am taking the combination birth control pill. I’ve been on it over a year. 

• alan P

You are only at risk from diarrhea if it is repeated. The UK health service say 6 to 8 times in 24 hours.  You can never say with 100% confidence whether you will get pregnant or not in any situation.  If you take the pill carefully there is still a small risk. You have a less than 1% chance per year of getting pregnant without pulling out or other protection.  Similarly if you have completely unprotected sex you are not certain to get pregnant.

• Tavy

The pill is absorbed into the bloodstream in 20 minutes. It does not go into the bowel.

You are protected.