Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 4 weeks ago

Can you hunt bear with a .38 special revolver?

My local hunter safety instructor told me the best way to hunt black bear was to use a .38 special loaded with FMJ and take head shots. He also said it was great for deer. What FMJ ammo works best for deer and bear?

• Ivan

No that is not a hunting gun.

That is a jackass thing to do. You must be trolling.

Luckily bears and deer fight back.

• Robin

your instructor is an idiot ...............................

Unless you are hunting the deadly teddy bear and stuffed deer that a three year old might play with- forget it!

While a bear can be killed with a 22, I don't care to let a bear get close enough to use a .38 on and expect to kill the bear.

Where I live we only have black bears, which as north American bears go are not often very large. The smallest hand gun allowed is a .357 magnum.

You may, of course, hunt bear with a .38 Special if you wish, but the last bear I shot had a .38 Special revolver in his stomach.

trolling or maybe instructor sent you on snipehunt?  couple points- most states do NOT allow FMJ bullets for deer, other game with possible exception of fur bearing critters during their particular season. Many states allow pistol hunting- BUT most require at least a .357 full power cartridge with nominal 400 foot pounds energy, some require 500 foot pounds and that means .44 mag or what would be rifle cartridge. as for a FMJ that works best for deer and bear? The .223 or 7.62x39 in a military pattern rifle that can fire short burst for 'survival' hunting or the 9mm pistol or carbine using military high pressure ammunition and multiple shots- again a 'survival' hunting practice. .45 from 1911 has been used sometimes by guides in 'encounter of worst kind' incidents.. 

• JOHN B

Look behind you as you walk away from him. The tears in his eyes, the grin on his face and the chortling from his nose may clue you in.

If you can find a 38 revolver that fires atleast a .270 you're in business.

Seems like a waste of money- i just use a bootlace and a broken beer bottle.

No you can't it's not powerful enough. And no your hunter safety instructor didn't tell you that. You are a liar and just want to pester people and waste their time by trolling this section. These pathetic troll questions you keep posting displays a mind of a child no matter what your age. I feel sorry for people like you, I really do. If you find this entertaining you have deep issues and need help from a psychoanalyst. And no you didn't waste my time but it's clear you are wasting yours. I think you are not a child but rather an adult. Something made you into a human that gets satisfaction from making others angry. That's why I feel sorry for you. If I am wrong and you are a child I have a warning for you. One day your troll side will show up in human relationships and this will cause you to suffer greatly and them as well. Your life will fall apart at one point. And it may very well end up when that happens no one will be there for you or care about you. You will be all alone and people will avoid you like the plague. 

• Adam D
      3 weeks agoReport

Not saying it wouldn't work, the .38 is often an underrated round.  I would trust my revolver with .38's against something as thin-skinned as a deer if he was close. On a black bear, well, that depends how big...

you can, but good lord i would never go after a predator that large with a small caliber like that