Why does it take two incomes these days to support a family ?

That’s what it seems like to me. Some women want to work, and some don’t have a choice.

• Favorite Answer

I want to work to help pay the bills and so I don't have to depend on my husband for every thing. I can tell you money doesn't always last for ever. My husband used to earn over 100K  a year until he lost his job and then the market crashed. We live comfortably in a smaller house and spend less money. Some times one person can't support every thing and it's unfair to expect them to do that. 

Some people live beyond their means. They use credit cards to pay for every thing which can get them into serious debt, if they can't pay them off. Other people are happy living with less. When it all comes down to it, it's all just stuff that can be gone in a minute or a day. Be grateful for what you can afford to have.

• squidy

My understanding is that before WWII, it was mostly just men who worked. But then WWII happened and the men were fighting, so the women all started getting jobs. Then the war ended, and now it was the norm for women to have jobs as well as men. That's twice as many people in the work force. So the economy adjusted to pay people roughly half as much as pre-war. (Adjusting for inflation of course.) I'm not saying it's good or bad, but that's what happened. WWII changed basically every single aspect of life, once you start looking into it, which you really should because it will blow your mind.

• Judith

In many cases it takes two incomes because people want it all.  For example, I have 3 sisters; we shared two bedrooms and we had only 1 bathroom for our family of 6.  Nowadays people seem to think that each child must have their own room and god forbid, the parents don't have their own bathroom and at least one other bathroom for the kids.  Then some people have more children then they can afford.  They get cars they can't afford instead of buying used cars and so on.  In other words, a whole lot of people live beyond their income.  They use charge cards, get loans and don't have enough in savings (if anything) to cover emergencies.

Then again, some people don't have the skills to get higher paying jobs and what with rents and house payments, it takes both to earn enough just to meet normal living expenses.

Basically though I think it is that people just want it all because we are surrounded by it either via TV ads, TV programs or people we know who seem to be better off.

I happen to think it is a mistake for a woman to be a stay-at-home mom unless she plans on returning to the work force once the youngest child is in school all day (1st grade).  Too many divorces.  No one should count on living off of their spouse unless they have a very rich spouse.

• n2mama

Depends on the income level. I can support my family of four on my income alone, my husband would not be able to support our family on his income alone. 

Two reasons. People want to live in relative luxury whether they can afford to or not, and people don't conserve and spend money wisely. Believe it or not, you could live without a cell phone, computer, and satellite TV.

• squidy
      3 weeks agoReport

Well, it's hard to live without a cell phone because people expect you to be able to answer and find it unreasonable if you can't, so it can hurt your career. But a phone can be your computer, (or a basic cheap laptop can) and yes you can for sure life without TV and a lot of other luxuries.

Most of us are not happy with necessities and are trying to satisfy our "wants"!

Those who can be happy with a roof over their heads, food for the stomach and cloths on their back can live on the income of one person.

Its possible to support a family in one wage. You could live in a trailer park and Sacrifice your comfort or you could choose not to live in the ghetto and then your cost of living goes up. Its all about your choices

Mostly everyone has to work for themselves these days. Who wants to rely on someone??