Why doesn't the House Judiciary seize the evidence that Trump is illegally suppressing?

• Manny

Simple, because of checks and balances. I mean, the Executive does have the right to do these kinds of things… But Congress doesn't utilize their tools to persuade the White House, either.

They should have held in contempt people like Corey Lewandowski and Matt Whitaker the minute they started to undermine Congress' authority; along with sending the Sergeant-at-Arms to apprehend Bill Barr and put him in custody until he agreed to comply, along with slapping fines for every day he disregards his subpoena.

The real answer is a matter of optics; because at the end of the day, this is a political process. The OLC memo stating that a President is practically legally immune from everything doesn't help, either.

Source(s): But, like everything from this House; I shall try to be grateful for as much as they have done thus far. If Pelosi and other centrists and swing-state Representatives had it their way, they'd let the ballot box decide Trump's fate. So, I must give credit where credit is due.
  • Logan

The House is not all powerful.  Trump's tax returns which may or may not be telling, will likely be made available to the House by June.   Public impeachment will hear from six more witnesses next week. 

They don't have the ability to do that by force.

There isn't any evidence that Trump is illegally suppressing.  That's why. 

Barr won't allow it.  He used to have a decent reputation, I guess he doesn't care if he has lost all integrity.