Why is it that women are not required to sign-up for the selective service?

Our courts have ruled numerous times over the course of many decades that it's unconstitutional to only require men sign-up for the selective service. Why is this decades long practice of sex-based discrimination not corrected?

Favorite Answer

"Why is it that women are not required to sign-up for the selective service?"

Because we live in a country where women have full equal RIGHTS to men but not equal RESPONSIBILITIES to men.

Remember that common men received the right to vote only after they were obligated to military service for their country.  Women on the other hand just got the vote without any corresponding responsibilities after suffragette feminists just whined long enough.

Today's Selective Service obligation for men only, is just an extension of this female privilege.  Of course, you'll never hear this full version of the truth from any feminists, or in our feminized media either.

.

• .Jerry.
      3 weeks agoReport

My friend, you are wrong with that last comment.  Women should have to serve their country just like men.

I don't care if they're cooking fries in the mess tent for the return of the front line soldiers or cleaning the gun barrels.  Time to serve, just like the men.

• Lv 7

women and children first.

we're holding the door for you. be grateful...

Until there is a need to use the selective service the odds of an appeal on the issue happening are pretty slim. I honestly don't think some female is going to sue the powers that be because they loose scholarships or weren't refused a drivers license because they didn't register. I honestly don't think any guy has grounds to file a suit.

So until the courts have a reason to rule on this, it will not happen.

Also I don't think any president or any one in the legislature will pursue changing the law either.

• Servus3 weeks agoReport

The courts have already ruled on this over, and over again. That's what my question is about. Why is it that even when we have rulings on this going back decades nothing has changed?

• Manny

Perhaps because there are plenty of Americans who still believe that incorporating women into the military will do more harm than good. Both as being a distraction and a liability.

But this is wrong. If it works for Israel, it most certainty work for us. In fact, I've met plenty of women in my life that I know would make way better soldiers than I ever could.

Besides, America should really ditch the draft altogether. Constructing a military of unwilling people in a Western Liberal backdrop will not end well. 

Source(s): Why do you people whine about these things anyways. There's no way in Hell the United States will have a draft in the foreseeable future, anyways. It'll only happen when it no longer matters anymore; as in a decimated military after a full-scale invasion of the homeland…
    • Manny
      3 weeks agoReport

Then make up your Goddamn mind, LOL.

It's funny how people cry about this when women fought for the right to volunteer to serve to begin with because they WANTED to and were not allowed to back when selective service was invented. Yes, but it's suddenly "not fair" in the minds of the guys who previously (and some still) believed that women weren't good enough.

That said, this whine also gets old because it hasn't actually been used for HOW long? So many that cry about it are in a generation that were never drafted and never will be. They signed up as a formality for something that would never be a real thing. IF it was still in use I'd say yes, add women to it. But seeing how it is not... stop whining and just end the thing for everyone.

• Servus3 weeks agoReport

Having a choice is a tad bit different from not having a choice. Do you know why women were not allowed to serve? Because they did not want to be drafted for wars. In fact, they protested against women in the military knowing it was a double-standard.

Ruth Vader is why we need term limits.

• John

Its always been the tradition.

• Servus3 weeks agoReport

All of our other traditions have been thrown out the window in the name of equality. So why not throw this one out as well?

I agree send feminists to fight wars