Tim asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 3 weeks ago

Am I capable of having my own credit/debit card?

I’m going to be 24 this year. A lot of websites have been telling me to attach a credit card. But I feel left out that I don’t have my own card. Plus, I have a ebt card, which I have kept in my wallet this whole time since I got it. My mom still thinks that I can’t have a debit card. And I thinks it unfair that I can’t have an credit card even though I have food stamp card. She said it could give like 6 mos, but I rather have it now. What do you think I should do? Live on plain cash and food stamp for enterinty, or get a debit card so I can get what I please?

P.S. — This is my friends email. He said it was okay to post here.

Do you have a checking account at a bank?  Go there and get a dibit card.

If you do not go open one and get a debit card.

Credit cards require full time jobs. Debit cards require bank accounts and money.

Its not just an age thing.

A debit card is YOUR MONEY in YOUR BANK ACCOUNT.  You can only spend what YOU HAVE.  It is almost like using your own cash.  The biggest difference is that you can't see how much is left on a card without keeping track of what you spend or checking your bank balance often.

A credit card is a LOAN.  You must pay it back when the bill is due.

We don't know if you are capable of having either of these kinds of cards but if you need "mommy's permission" to get either of these things then you must have some health or emotional issues that make you incapable of normal adult choices.

Even with a debit card or credit card - you could still only spend what you could afford - so it does not let you get everything you might want.  

• Judy

Do you have a JOB? If you have a bank account you can probably get a debit card. You do know that with a debit card, you can only spend up to the amount you have in the account, and it's taken out immediately to pay for it, so you can't just "get what you please" unless you have the money to pay for it. You have to qualify to get a credit card, by showing you can and probably will pay it back. You need to show you have sufficient income and a decent credit score.

• n2mama

A debit card is linked to a bank account, which means you can only spend the money you have in that account. A credit card allows you to spend money you don’t have, then you have to pay it back, with interest. It can be very easy to get in financial trouble with a credit card. You mom is in a better position to know what you are capable of managing than a bunch of strangers online. That you view a credit card as a way to get “what you want” indicates you may not be ready for one.

• DON W

I assume this is a real question and not trolling.

In order to get a credit card, you need a regular job with a decent income. 

In order to get a debit card, you need a bank account with a minimum amount on deposit.

If neither of those is true, you are unlikely the get the cards you want.