Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 4 weeks ago

why would the crank shaft seal start leaking if ran a leaf blower with very lean 2 cycle fuel?

I ran my leaf blower for quite a long time with 2 cycle fuel that did not have the recommended amount of 2 cycle oil. and i didnt know that but realized when the engine kind of started backfiring etc. that i maybe had been running 2 cycle fuel in it that was about 1/3 less oil than recommended. I have used the leaf blower regardless and the engine still runs fine (after correcting the fuel) , but the crank shaft seal is leaking. why this might have happened and how likely just replacing the crank shaft seal will solve the problem?

Favorite Answer

Engine run hot and broke the seal.  Keep it simple.  Replace the seal and see if it fixes the issue.  If not, get another blower.

Update:  The seal is broken.  Do not waste your time thinking why it broke.  That stuff is for engineers to figure out.  I am just a lowly mechanic.  Fix the blower or buy a new one and move on.

• 4 weeks agoReport

is it true what Don R said below that the seal actually maybe got ground and worn out due to lack of oil? how possible?

• don r

Oil lubricates the crank seal, so lack of oil let it grind and wear out. Replace the seal.