How do I get my daughter to pee in the toilet like a normal girl again?

She's 5 and was perfectly potty trained for a while now. However, her brother who's just learned to pee standing (thanks to the hubby) showed her how much fun it is - and I fear that she might have even tried aiming his "peepee".

Now her potty training has gone haywire. I notices messes near the toilet and blamed my son, until I caught that it was my daughter. I told her girls aren't supposed to pee standing and to never try it again.

Then I started finding urine in the weirdest places, her cereal bowl, her toybox, the kiddie pool (which was empty for the winter). I asked her if it was her, and she proudly said yes, she's having so much fun. I told her she should only pee sitting on the toilet like a good girl. She said it's so boring, she wants to have fun peeing like Alex. I told her peeing isn't supposed to be fun, it's a chore you have to do, just like putting your toys away, and she said she knows how to have fun peeing.

What do I do now?

Girls can pee standing up. I think she is just practising

Make her clean up her mess every time she does this. It will stop being fun for her once she has to deal with the mess. Also if she pees in her cereal, throw it out and tell her " Since you peed in your cereal, you're gonna go hungry until the next meal". You're not going to starve her or cause physiological damage from doing that until she gets the message that peeing in her cereal means that it gets taken away. Eventually once she gets hungry enough, she'll stop peeing in the cereal and instead start eating it.

It's simple-

You are the parent, she is the child, don't let her lead you by the nose here! If she thinks this "is fun", then you need to make it miserable for her, it will straighten her up real quick!

When she urinates in places that aren't the toilet,  she cleans her own mess up (of course you give her the supplies, if she runs out, she does house chores to earn her keep), if she refuses she's in her room the remainder of the day. When Alex is in the bathroom, she is NOT allowed in with him, she violates it her *** is finding it sitting in her room for the remainder of the day. She wants to urinate in her cereal? She sits there and eats the ENTIRE bowl until its empty! She will learn really quick she's not the parent, that its not fun to urinate around the house, and that she is to use the bathroom while sitting.

Stop being a bloody pushover here.

• Charlie3 weeks agoReport

Eating the cereal with pee in it would probably make her sick. A better idea would be throwing it out and making her go hungry until the next meal.

Peeing standing up is very common in young trolls.

• LizB

Make her clean it up, by herself, every time. It'll stop being "fun" once she actually has to deal with the mess.

Same lesson should apply to your son when he "misses." Never too early to teach a kid proper toileting manners.

• .

It's one of those kid things. If she's in Kindergarten the school will have to correct her where to go. 

Also if she is around other little girls her age, she will want to be like the rest of the girls, and do as they do.

It's not a problem that will last forever, she will outgrow this issue. She's just dealing with a childhood jealousy issue that doesn't make sense for us, but makes perfect sense for a child her age.