Alex asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 3 weeks ago

How should I handle bullying at work?

I ve been at this job for a year. But around the 6th month I ve been getting teased. I m 5 ft 8 165 pounds. Its usually my boss and another co worker. Some of the things they say are like

"Alex hasn t even dropped his balls yet"

"Its alright little Alex. You ll get it next time"

"F**king Steve" (comparing me to an old coworker that they thought was very stupid)

"Oh you re looking at a calendar? Just keep it so you know what day it is tomorrow"

*"Come on Einstein"

Usually happens when I mess up. Sometimes I would be working and they d be both laughing in the distance whilst looking at me and one of them says "Is that right Alex" then they both laugh. In all honesty I like the job but at first I thought it was teasing but now its bullying. How can I approach this if my own boss is joking about me? I ve never said anything to them. Is it because I m vulnerable? Should I start making jokes too? Should I tell them how I feel? Like tell them that they shouldn t disrespect me like that? I would but I don t know if I m overthinking or if I should just fight someone at this point.To me its like prison. If you keep someone keep picking on you they're going to keep at it until you do something

• Prince
    Favorite Answer

Sometimes the proper etiquette is to "go Postal". You should see the movie "Horrible Bosses" for some tips on proper responses. 

• Foofa

I'd try getting a one on one meeting with the boss to discuss this. If this boss isn't the ultimate authority though this is something you might take to his manager or to an HR department if this is a larger employer.

• denise

It just seems like your still the 'newbie', so your getting all this nonsense, If someone else 'new' starts work in your dept, it may stop, but then the next 'newbie' will be the target.

• Chanel

Look at the person and say very calmly "there is no need to speak to me like that" or you could say "anymore of your ridiculous remarks and I'm going to do something about it"

Bullies pick on people cos they have problems and they are nasty people.

I agree with the answers that you should report them to head office but give them prior warning so they can make up their nasty spiteful minds whether to stop or not.

I wish you well sweetheart and remember not everybody is spiteful and maybe one of the guys in this group does not really agree and just pretends to so they do not get picked on.

go over your bosses head and talk to them about it

If you truly feel your co-workers have crossed a boundary, speak directly with your HR Department. Bullying in the workplace is not professionally or personally appropriate, and there is no obligation for you to accept what is being said to you. Begin to make a written record of comments being made and bring this matter to someone's attention.

• reme_1

Is there an H R dept? Do you have any other supervisor that you can go to? I would definitely start looking for another job. I don't know if there is any dept outside the company that you can go to. Sorry. Good luck.

• Kyle

if you're boss is doing it, i would bring it up with HR and make a complaint.  they can inform your boss and co-worker and any punishment as necessary.