Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

I miss my dog so much?

I lost her a couple months ago from cancer. She was only 3 1/2. I havnt completely processed it. I guess I was mostly in shock, until yesterday. As bad as it sounds, I just made myself get over her, and forget. My mom posted a pic of her on facebook, with a comment from my aunt saying "she was such a sweet dog" it completely hit me. Shes gone forever. I'll never see her again. I could get another dog that looks like her, but it wont be her. Whenever I walk into my house I can almost see her running down the stairs to great me. I still subconsciously lay on the edge of my bed to give her room, even though she's not there. She hasn't been for 2 months. Her toys are still I'm the same place she left them. Her leash is hanging on my coat hook. It's so surreal. Shes not here, and she wont ever be again. I guess my question is have any of you felt the way I do after your dogs passing?

Yes i lost my much loved dog to lymphoma 11 December last year aged 8 years the house was so empty without a dog so now we have a lovely new puppy and the house is now a home again.

I still think of all the dogs I have had over the years I miss them and love them still, the wonderful thing is getting a new dog just adds to the love.

Everyone who loved their dog will have felt a sense of acute loss.

One way to move on from this is to allow another dog to come into your life and then you can teach it all you learned from the dog you just lost.

“The Legacy”

(author unknown )

When humans die, they make a will

To leave their homes and all they have

to those they love.

I, too, would make a will if I could write:

"To some poor wistful, lonely stray

I leave my happy home,

My dish, my cosy bed, my cushioned chair, my toy.

The well loved lap, the gentle stroking hand,

the loving voice,

The place I made in someone's heart,

The love that at the last could help me to

a peaceful painless end

Held in loving arms.

If I should die, Oh do not say,

"No more a pet I'll have,

to grieve me by its loss"

Seek out some lonely, unloved dog

And give my place to him.

This is the legacy I leave behind -

'tis all I have to give."

I don't think there'd be anybody who truly cares about their pets, who doesn't feel as you do, especially losing her so young which is especially hard.   I lost one who took a face full of crop spray at the top of our garden where he was with his mum before I realised what was going on.   She lost sight in one eye, he went totally blind within 24 hours.  It was so sudden that he had no chance of making any adjustment to his situation and started fighting any of the others who happened past him - even snarling at us.  After A LOT of thought and talk with our then trusted vet, we decided it was kindest to let him go - he died in the samd vet's examination room as he'd been born in.  Ironically.    It still hurts to think about that loss, and it was a long time ago.   He was just over 5 at the time and I felt so cheated at losing him so young.

When we lose one, I remove that dish (so setting up the right number of bowls at mealtime doesn't bring it all flooding back).  I do leave the collar/lead on the hook - mine aren't into toys other than when puppies so that's not a problem.

When you are ready to move on - and it takes time for each of us - then it's your choice whether you buy one of the same breed, or even gender but just remember it won't be fair to even expect another dog to be 'exactly the same'.   I had a couple who had a b itch previously and thought they wanted another (same breed).  I only had males available and they went off happily with one of the boys.

So sorry for your loss.  It hurts but with each passing day, the great memories help to keep you going.

• Jack H

You will never replace your dog, but, you can give your love to and receive love from another dog, please, consider adopting another dog, greyhounds are wonderful, they need loving homes, condolences on your loss too, I have felt that many times over the years, but still smile about the good times, that's important...

The death of my beloved dog last summer was one of the worst events of my life.  My neighbor is an extreme liberal and he said....."Too bad about that filthy fleabag mutt of yours."

• Verulam
      4 weeks agoReport

You don't have to be 'liberal', to not appreciate the relationship between man and his dog.   Many people just don't get it!!

Yes I'm going through the same thing. I actually almost got chills reading this because it's so similar. I lost my VERY close husky to cancer. We had to put her down in july.. I got a husky pup a week later to help cope cause I too would almost see and hear her In the house and i drove myself insane...... and couldnt grieve in a healthy way and even though i have a new pup i still have days where i just wanna die to see her again. Life has been so hard since. I feel like I've blocked it out actually because it's just too painful. It's so hard I cant even get rid of her toys she was my baby before I had a baby. It's been hell without her. I love my puppy but my first one was THE one. I'm sorry your going through this too. I wish I could help comfort you more.

OMG, do I ever feel for you.  That happened to me soo many, many years ago.  It took me years to get over the loss of that dog.  Long hard empty years.  Don't ever do that to yourself,  what I did to myself.  After a year or so, or even earlier if you can, find another dog to love.  The new dog doesn't have to be the same breed of dog, but it should be one you feel something for!  They are all so sweet.  God made them  for us as companions, and as comforters.  We all die.  I die.  You will die.  And your next pet will die.  That is just the nature of Life on planet Earth.  I happen to believe that if I ask God to recreate my precious dog, I lost long ago, when I get to heaven she will be there running and playing in the green fields coming to greet  me.  I have my hope in a loving God.  I hope you will find that love again also.   

Yes, I have and I do.  I am mourning dogs that passed 10 years ago.  Life goes on.  I have rescued other dogs, but that doesn't mean I don't miss the ones that have passed.

Some people pack away the toys and leashes.  Others leave them in the open.  Some people make scrapbooks.  Others plant trees in memory of the dog.

It all depends on what helps YOU.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Wow, do I know how you feel!

The thing about pets is that they don't last as long as we do.  ANYONE who has pets has to face that they won't be around forever, so you have to enjoy them while they're here, to give them as good a life as we can.  Which I'm sure you did!

Losing a pet is like losing a loved one (I mean a human loved one).  At first you feel horrible, and it takes a while to get your head around that the person or animal is gone.  It just takes time!  Over time, you learn not to feel sad but to remember the good times you had together, to realize the person or animal will remain alive in your memory, in your heart.  And you have some pleasure in knowing you made the dog's life special, that you gave her as much love as she gave you.

It might sound blasphemous to suggest it at first, but the answer is to get another dog.  The new dog won't REPLACE her, but it will give you another dog to love, it will help fill the void.