Becoming older parents?

My partner and I are worried about becoming parents at an older age because we are currently not ready and don't see ourselves being ready in a while. I am 25 and he's 35. Would pregnancy work out in a decade? Can you even be a parent when you're 35 and 45? Please help!

• Edna

Of COURSE you can still be parents when you're 35 and he's 45. What makes you think you wouldn't be able to?  You're still both young, and you're both still physically fit enough to chase after a young child.  

Many women today don't even start trying to get pregnant until they're in their 30's.

But, if you waited to have a child until you were 45 and he was 55, that might be different story. At that age, you would both probably be getting a little too tired  to want to be chasing after a child until the child was 20 years old and grown. You would be 65 and he would be 75 before the child was grown.   

• sarah

I have a friend who was 39 when she got pregnant and 40 by the time the kid was born (not sure about her husband's age, but I think he's the same as her or maybe a year or two older). They are absolutely wonderful parents.

The one issue is that your chances of miscarriage, having a baby with Down syndrome or other issues, and things like that increase with age.

My sister's only child was born when she was 37, but she wasn't able to get pregnant again. Your fertility declines with age. If you're sure you won't be ready for another ten years, then you should freeze your eggs (or your embryos) now. But if you freeze your embryos and your relationship doesn't last, your partner can block you from using those embryos.

Plenty of women have babies at 35, and MANY men have babies when they are older than 45. The problem is that your fertility declines with age. That doesn't mean it will be impossible to get pregnant, but it may be more difficult.

I also have to say that in some ways, it's better when parents are young when they have babies. I've seen older parents who were used to have their house exactly as they wanted, and couldn't tolerate the mess and chaos of having a baby around. I know a mother who spoon fed her child at the age of 5 because she could never bear the mess the child made when she tried to feed herself. I, on the other hand, sometimes just picked up the high chair with the child in it and put it in the shower to wash off both baby and high chair!

• LizB

I've known people who conceived naturally in their late 30s and 40s, so it happens. But then again, my husband and I had to seek fertility treatments for our first child, and we were 31/33 when we started trying. Turned out we both had issues. Everyone and their dog knows that female fertility declines with age, but not nearly as many people are aware that male fertility also declines in the 30s, and takes a sharp drop around age 39. You *might* be lucky and still be very fertile at 35 and 45, but unfortunately the odds of age could also be working against you by then, if not sooner.

• .

My sister had 2 children her first child was born when she was 39 and her second child was born when she was 41, and there's fertility issues in our family. 

And the conceived naturally. 

Had my last baby at 43 worked out just fine

Help with what? How is anyone going to know based on this poorly worded question.

My daughter-in-law had 2 children, 1 when she was 39 and one when she was 42. My son is 8 years older than she is.