Is it fair to ask a temp who didn't get the permanent job to train the new hire who will be taking their place?

I was hired as a temp Dec 2018 to work for this oil company until March 2019.  I found out that my job had been posted for hiring yesterday by my friend who works in another dept. and they hired someone already.  Today, 5 days later, my boss told me about the hiring and that it was done by our VP because he wanted someone with electrical graphics experience.  Mind you, I did some electrical graphics work for a previous job.  So my boss is acting like he doesn't like the VP's decision but I don't believe that.  So now I realize that I'm being kept around to train the new person. I'm not bothered that they hired someone for what I am already doing.  I am bothered that they did not even talk to me about the job opening and now, obviously, will want me to train my replacement.  I need the money, of course, but have some savings to get me by for emergencies.  Should I stay until March and train my replacement?  Or should I give a notice and leave with some pride since I'm not pressed for money?

Sorry guys, that was supposed to be March 2020.

Only if you pay them extra for it.

Teach him all the wrong things to screw the company. 

• Judy

Fair to ask you to train the person, but really tacky not telling you.

You decide if you want to work the extra time for the extra money, forget about the 'pride'.

You have lots of notice, start looking.  If you find another good job, give your two weeks notice and leave.  It's up to them to figure out who to train your replacement, it's NOT YOUR JOB TO STAY TILL THEY ARE READY TO LAY YOU OFF.

You could ask your boss why they didn't approach you to see if you were interested in going full time for the position (assuming your boss knows you have the necessary qualifications) BUT it may be because they haven't been 100% happy with your work.  Not saying that is the case but don't freak out if you get told they didn't want you.

• If you're getting paid, and if there's no chance of you sticking around, then train the new guy.  Take their money, and impress upon the new guy that what happened to you can and probably will happen to him.  You get to walk away and they'll have a paranoid employee to deal with.