Is the term theist an attempt to drag Christians down to the level of atheists?

• Favorite Answer

yes dear, it is. But Christ's name and rule is forever, and those who hate it will try to silence it to no avail.

• KatSidhe4 weeks agoReport

Theist probably comes from "theism". It derives from the Greek theos or theoi meaning "god" or "gods". Thus a "theist" can be used to describe anyone who believes in a religion. It only becomes an insult if you let it. 

Yes. I believe it isn't. 

Right!  At no time should any responsible person use a word found in a dictionary.  Dictionary words are mere attempts to degrade people.

No, it's a term that describes "all" God believers, not just Christians and not just the religious, but anyone who believes in a higher power.

No. Theist merely describes a person who is philosophically open to the notion of spiritual entities, unlike atheists who usually are not.

• certainly can be.... it is .. generally on YA.. used as a slur

It was already IN your mother'sfunkandwagnells when I got here.

Would you prefer Believer and Unbeliever?

How about Saved Sheep and God-damned Fool?

Atheism is a lack of belief in ALL Gods and Goddesses, not just a lack of belief in YOUR favourite.

Ouit of a list of 1,000 Gods and Goddesses,m if YOU lack a belief in 997 of them, does that make you 99.7% as foolish as the atheists?

Explain WHY you lack a belief in the first 10m or 20, and then I can copy and paste, changing only the names of three of them, to explain my lack of belief in yours.

• Leo

Only to the massively insecure.

I personally feel like it's the other way around. With many people b*tching about the behavior of "theists", when they actually specifically mean Abrahamic believers! Usually Christians. And especially fundie Christians.

Source(s): Someone who's a theist, but still loathes and wants absolutely f*ck-all to do with Abrahamic religion, or all its despicable moral failings! Hence why it bothers me when (some) atheists on here say "theists", when they actually mean "Christians".
    • Jea
      4 weeks agoReport

I have to give you that one.  The religions of Abraham are of the bottom of the barrel...spiritually speaking of course.

God doesn't care about you.