Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 4 weeks ago

Can I Teach English in China without a university degree, with just a Tefl Certificate? ?

I’m 28 years old, a lot older than when my friends travelled abroad for work/travel.  Iv always wanted to travel to China on a work visa. I left college and went straight into vocational work. A lot of friends/colleagues said it’s next to impossible without a university degree if i want to teach English. Is this true? Can anyone recommend alternative qualifications? Or just general advice on the subject thanks. 

Go to eslcafe.com and click on Jobs to see the jobs available and the requirements. I know there was one program in China that took current college students who hadn't graduated yet, but they had to have 3 years of college. Please note about Sparrow's response that not have a teaching degree is not the same as not having a degree. 

My next door neighbor went to Hong Kong and was hired to teach English.

He doesn't have a teaching degree.

I read that they have a great need to learn English, that sometimes the English

classes have a 100 students and the teacher is only on a TV monitor, not

even present.

Also, I asked him if it's a problem that he doesn't know much Chinese.

He said no. They still wanted to hire him.