Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 3 weeks ago

I don't understand this about hot water please help?

SO we recently had a issue with our boiler. We had no heat due a malfunctioning outside sensor. In addition to disconnecting the outside temperature sensor the technician DRAMATICALLY increased the water temp to 140 F degrees. When we turn on the hot water it is SCOLDING hot. VERY QUICKLY! Isn't this wrong? Won't it also eat through the washers quicker too?

Update:

Wouldn't lowering the temperature effect the heater baseboards?

Update 2:

Is the water temperature directly related to the heater coming out of the baseboards?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

The "domestic hot water" temperature (typically up to 130F) may be separately regulated from the home heating (radiator) outlet temperature (which may go up to 180F).  Ask the tech to explain why he did this to you and have him come back and lower the temp, or explain to you how to do it yourself.

• 3 weeks ago

140 is not scalding and no it won't eat the seals. The baseboard water temperature is not affected by the DHW setting.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 weeks agoReport

Actually, national plumbing code restricts domestic hot water to 135 F (or sometimes less). Ordinary skin scalds at 135F, so 140 would be illegal in many places.

• 3 weeks ago

it wont really hurt anything, but honestly, i would have put it about 120 F.

• 3 weeks ago

If you choose to reduce the HW temperature to below 140F then you risk Legionella growing in the storage cylinder and pipework. Your call.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • John
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago

Call the Tech back and tell him the water is too hot. Every honorable business gives at least a 30 day warranty, free of charge. I signed a Not to Compete paper.

• 3 weeks ago

You can turn down the dial on the unit to a temperature you prefer. Turning it down will also save you.money.

• 3 weeks ago

Just turn it back down. Mine has a red knob you can twist. My last one was digital just go have a look. But no it will not eat through anything. It’s just going to hurt your skin but the metal can take it. You will have a higher electric bill too. If you don’t see how to adjust the temp, look for the brand or brand and model number and google it

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 weeks agoReport

Why would adjusting a water-heater temperature affect the electric bill, unless it is powered by electricity for some reason? Mine is wood-fired with oil backup.

• 3 weeks ago

the temp should be turned back down to 125. any higher is, as you say, scalding in the shower

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 weeks agoReport

Some places allow it as high as 135, although 130 may be preferred.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.