Replacing old hard drive to new hard drive with a different operations system?

So I’m planning to swap out my old main hard drive that comes with Windows 7, to replace a new hard drive that I consider to install with Windows 10. I don’t want to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 btw.

Is it safe for installing new hard drive and new os version with old pc??

Btw, my old pc is nearly 10 years old, and the model is CQ5600Y

SPECS

Motherboard

M2N68-LA (Narra5)

Processor

AMD Athlon II 170u

Memory

2GB RAM (already upgrade to 4GB RAM)

Video graphics

Integrated graphics using nVidia GeForce 6150SE

Sound/Audio

Integrated Realtek ALC888S Audio

Networking

LAN: 10-Base-T

Hard drive

500 GB

CD/DVD disc drive

SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology drive

Computer Case

Mid-size ATX

Power Supply

250W

I/O Ports

Front I/O ports 

Back I/O ports

Also I already back up all my data. 

Hi. Just get it from this link - directly from MS, & there's a utility available that will let You know if Your older system is compatible.

If it's not, then there are systems that will easily run Win10 for about $65(US) available on both eBay & Amazon, including Gamer-level specs for some modern games.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/...

G'Luck!!!

• YKhan

Yeah perfectly safe to do that. In fact that's how I've been doing upgrades for the past couple of decades.

• Lv 7

you cannot just install whichever version of Windows you want on a computer.

...well, you CAN, but just because you CAN do something does not make it a good idea.

without drivers for your chosen version of Windows, the computer will run slow, and may not even function at all.

according to HP's website, the newest version of Windows supported by that model is Windows 7:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/c...

if you try to put Win10 on it, you will be very disappointed.

i would recommend installing an SSD and putting Win7 on it again, from scratch.

it will run faster, and may last a few more years of good effort.

just remember to install the drivers from the link above (you may want to download them first, before reinstall).

just go to the compaq website for your exact pc model if it does not have w10 drivers for it, dont even think of trying.

There are a number of websites to allow you to test to see if your computer will run Windows 10. Here is one:

https://www.techworm.net/2018/09/windows-10-compat...    Also, do a search for 'test to upgrade to windows 10' and you may see additional websites to test with. Your old computer will probably not pass the test, but this saves you time wasted on an upgrade that won't work. Good luck.

• John

Time to upgrade your pc. I buy a new hp laptop every 3 yrs to keep up with tech.

Don't. It won't work. Stick with W7. 

The system requirements are different. With a ten year old PC the odds are it will not run windows 10.

• I've run Windows 10 on decade old PCs and it runs fine. Not blazing fast, but quite usable. I've even installed it on a PC that MS deemed "incompatible".

Yes, you should be able to install a newer hard drive without any problems. Just keep in mind that since this is a pretty old system, it probably won't run Windows 10 very fast. It will be usable, but probably not great.

I would strongly consider installing an SSD on this system to make it overall more responsive.