Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsSkin Conditions · 4 weeks ago

is this an infection?

before i start writing this, this is really gross so im sorry in advance

so i've had rashes on both of my armpits for a few months and i got a pretty decent sized bump on one of them and it broke a few minutes ago and pus basically just kept coming out of it for a good 3 minutes, it was regular colored pus, like it looked like a pimple so i was just wondering if theres an explanation for this.

Update:

i've had the bump for like a month

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Hidradenitis suppurativa is a long-term (chronic) skin condition. The cause is unknown. Inflammation of the apocrine sweat gland-bearing areas leads to painful and repeated lumps of pus (boils or abscesses). Suppuration means formation or discharge of pus. These areas (commonly the armpits and groin) leak pus and are difficult to heal. Eventually, scarring occurs. Treatments include antibiotic lotions or medicines, or an operation to remove the affected skin area. A newer treatment works by blocking a chemical of the immune system that causes inflammation in the body.

“elimination diet”

1. All nightshades (potatotes, tomatoes, eggplants, tomatillos, tobacco and all capsaicin containing peppers [cayenne, serrano, jalapeno, paprika, habanera and all foods made with these- salsa, hot sauce, tomato pastes & sauces etc.]. The nightshade family of plants contain a variety of compounds which increase intestinal permeability. In potatoes, it is the glycoalkaloids (alpha solanine and alpha chaconine); in tomatoes it is alpha tomatine; in spicy peppers it is capsaicin. The scientific references showing how nightshade compounds increase intestinal permeability can be found in my new book, The Paleo Answer. In HS patients, smoking tobacco (a nightshade plant) has been shown to aggravate the disease symptoms in HS patients.

2. Alcohol (ethanol) found in beer wine and all alcoholic beverages increases intestinal permeability.

3. Aluminum hydroxide (alum) in antacids increases intestinal permeability.

4. Alfalfa sprouts contain high concentrations of compounds called saponins which increase intestinal permeability.

5. Psuedo grains (quinoa, amaranth) contain saponins which increase intestinal permeability in a dose dependent manner – meaning the more you consume the leakier the gut becomes. Chia seeds also likely increase intestinal permeability.

6. Oral contraceptives

7. NSAIDS (Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) like aspirin and ibuprofen.

8. Egg whites contain a substance called lysozyme which increases intestinal permeability.

9. A foaming agent called Quillaja found in many brands of root beer increases intestinal permeability and potently stimulates the immune system.

10. In addition to peanuts, which are not a not at all, but a legume, tree nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans, brazil nuts, etc.) are one of the most common allergenic foods. To date, tree nuts have been poorly studied for antinutrient content, and it is unclear if they increase intestinal permeability or adversely affect the immune system. This would be one of the last foods I suggest restricting.

NOTE:  TOBACCO IS ALSO A NIGHTSHADE/SOLANACEAE.

Hidradenitis Suppurativa, Diet, And PCOS

* By Angela on May 12, 2015

Women with PCOS sure have their share of dermatological concerns. These include acne, excess body hair growth, and hair loss or alopecia. But there is another lesser known PCOS-related symptom that some women with the condition experience called Hidradenitis Suppurativa (HS). Often referred to as “bumps” or “boils,” HS can have a significant impact on a woman’s self-esteem and body image. Recent research is showing advancements in treatment options for HS, including nutrition modifications. Here’s what you need to know.

What is Hidradenitis Suppurativa?

Hidradenitis suppurativa (hi-drad-uh-NIE-tis sup-yoo-ruh-TIE-vuh) is a chronic inflammatory skin condition in both men and women resulting in pea-sized or larger lumps above and beneath the skin. The lumps tend to develop around hair follicles in places where the skin rubs together such as under the arms, thighs, groin, under breasts, and between buttocks. These unsightly lumps can be painful and even break open, releasing a foul-smelling pus.

The lumps usually start around puberty and can worsen over time. Lumps can be connected by tunnels under the skin and spread to other areas. Lumps can become reddened and inflamed and are slow to heal. One nutrition coaching patient of mine found a lump in her breast only to have it biopsied to reveal it was HS and not a tumor.

PCOS and Hidradenitis Suppurativa

An association between HS and diabetes, hyperlipidemia, obesity, hypertension, and metabolic syndrome among patients with HS has been found (1).

HS is believed to be an autoimmune condition. HS in women with PCOS is associated with excess testosterone and other androgens. Excessive weight, heat, sweating, smoking, eating an unhealthy diet, and stress can worsen HS.

The emotional toll of HS can be severe. Women who suffer from HS may feel embarrassed and frustrated about the unsightly lumps, affecting their body image and mood, leading to depression.

Treatment for Hidradenitis Suppurativa

Overall, HS is not well understood. The literature is limited and there is a shortage of randomized, controlled trials. Traditional treatment of HS have primarily focused on the use of antibiotics, laser treatments, and surgery. However, these forms of treatment only provide temporary relief as most women see a relapse in symptoms.

Now a variety of treatments used together is believed to be an effective way to treat and prevent HS flare ups from occurring. Treatment may be focused at targeting several aspects of HS including decreasing the bacterial load and the immune response, altering the hormonal balance, and improving wound healing (3).

Now that a hormone imbalance of higher androgens has been linked to HS, more emphasis has been placed at finding effective antiandrogen treatments. A study in the Journal of Cutaneous Medicine and Surgery found that antiandrogen therapy was superior to oral antibiotic therapy (55% vs 26%) in treating HS (2).

While not approved for treatment in PCOS, Spironoloactone, a weak anti-hypertensive medication, is a popular antiandrogen for this population. Metformin use may also be effective. One study found metformin improved symptoms and quality of life in patients with HS unresponsive to other treatments. Metformin also has antiandrogen properties.

High levels of insulin are correlated with higher androgens among women with PCOS; lowering insulin levels can reduce androgen levels. Androgens (and insulin) can be lowered with diet, exercise, and weight loss. Weight loss has shown to be improve HS as well (4).

Diet and Hidradenitis Suppurativa

Research examining the link between HS and diet is lacking. One study involving 12 people with HS found that avoidance of wheat and brewer’s yeast for 12 months, showed an immediate reduction and stabilized symptoms in HS symptoms. An immediate recurrence of skin lesions occurred following accidental or voluntary consumption of beer or other foods containing brewer’s yeast or wheat (5).

While there is no science-based evidence to support it, the paleo diet which involves eliminating grains, beans, and dairy, is widely promoted as the cure for HS on the internet. In her book entitled “The Hidden Plague: A Field Guide for Surviving and Overcoming Hidradenitis Suppurativa ” Tara Grant, a woman suffering from HS and PCOS, details her 20-year experience with it and how she overcame the disease by eating a paleo type diet (6).

The strongest research is supported by a study published in Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology, suggested that HS symptoms improve with a dairy free and low glycemic-load diet (7).

Since HS is an inflammatory condition, following an anti-inflammatory diet may play a role in treating HS. Following a FODMAPs diet by eliminating hard to digest “trigger” foods which cause inflammation may be effective.

In addition, these diet strategies may help to reduce inflammation in HS:

* Avoid sugar, white flour, and wheat

* Avoid refined or processed high glycemic index foods

* Consume a diet rich in colorful fruits and vegetables

* Eat cold water or fatty fish like salmon, tuna, or trout at least twice a week

* Include plenty of unsaturated fats into your diet like avocado, olive oil, nuts, and seeds

Do you suffer from HS? What has helped you?

Sources
1. Shalom G, Freud T, Harman-Boehm I, Polishchuk I, Cohen AD. Hidradenitis Suppurativa and the Metabolic Syndrome A Comparative Cross-sectional Study of 3,207 Patients. Br J Dermatol. 2015 Mar 11.

2.Kraft JN, Searles GE. Hidradenitis suppurativa in 64 female patients: retrospective study comparing oral antibiotics and antiandrogen therapy. J Cutan Med Surg. 2007 Jul-Aug;11(4):125-31.

3.Gill L1, Williams M2, Hamzavi I2.Update on hidradenitis suppurativa: connecting the tracts. Prime Rep. 2014 Dec 1;6:112.

4.Boer J. Resolution of hidradenitis suppurativa after weight loss by dietary measures, especially on frictional locations. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2015 Mar 2.

5.Cannistrà C, Finocchi V, Trivisonno A, Tambasco D. New perspectives in the treatment of hidradenitis suppurativa: surgery and brewer’s yeast-exclusion diet. Surgery. 2013 Nov;154(5):1126-30.

6.Grant T: The Hidden Plague: A Field Guide For Surviving and Overcoming Hidradenitis Suppurativa. New York: Primal Nutrition; 2013.

7. Danby FW1. Diet in the prevention of hidradenitis suppurativa (acne inversa).J Am Acad Dermatol. 2015 Nov;73(5 Suppl 1):S52-4.

Surgery. 2013 Nov;154(5):1126-30. doi: 10.1016/j.surg.2013.04.018. Epub 2013 Jul 25.

New perspectives in the treatment of hidradenitis suppurativa: surgery and brewer's yeast-exclusion diet.

Cannistrà C1, Finocchi V, Trivisonno A, Tambasco D.

Author information

• 4 weeks ago

It sounds like it. 

Have you recently changed to a new deodorant or washing powder? 

I would recommend throwing away your razor and using new disposable ones each day until the rash goes (or if possible not shave for a few days). I would also throw away any shaving cream (or whatever you have been using) and buy a new brand. I would buy a fragrance free moisturising deodorant, such as the drove cream roll on. 

all this should make it go in around a week, if not maybe see someone? 

The bump was likely a cyst under the skin, if it was hard ish like a pea :) 

• 4 weeks ago

i would go see your doctor and get it checked out

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.