Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysChristmas · 4 weeks ago

Why don’t hospitals close on Christmas?

27 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

Interesting troll question. For your sake I hope you never need the hospital on Christmas.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 weeks ago

Hospitals stay open on Christmas in case somebody gets in an accident. The world doesn’t stop on Christmas Day, so accidents and injuries are still likely to happen. It sucks that doctors, firemen, police, etc. Can’t be home on Christmas, but we appreciate them for looking out for us on this holiday.

• 4 weeks ago

Unfortunately, people get sick and have medical emergencies during Christmas.

• Mark
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Believe it or not, MORE.  When I was in college at a hospital, we either had to work on Dec 25 or Dec 31.  I thought it would be quiet, but you would not BELIEVE how many people were brought into the ER for things like "choking on bones" & heart attacks (which usually turned out to be indigestion).

• Sarah
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Hospitals generally never close on any day at any time for any reason, provided that the hospital has the resources to treat people. Emergencies can happen at any time. Also, someone dies in a car accident every 30 seconds, and the number who survive but need emergency care is greater. Who knows how many people would die if hospitals were closed on holidays?! 

Even if it's not emergency related, people may still be in the hospital. My grandma was in the hospital last year on Christmas, had hip surgery to repair a fracture three days later, and died this year on January 27th. If she hadn't been in the ICU receiving medicines because the hospital was closed, I think she would have died sooner. 

The point is, hospitals don't close because people's lives literally depend on it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

People can get sick any day of the year, including Christmas. Hospitals are required by law to be open at all times for unexpected emergencies. In a world of 7 billion people, anything can happen on any given day.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

anyone can have a medical emergency and if the hospital was closed on Christmas then people could die and illnesses maybe spread thought the family.

• 4 weeks ago

It's because people sometimes still need hospital treatment on Christmas day, and so medical staff - like paramedics and A&E staff - have no choice but to work over Christmas. People get hurt from having accidents every day, and around Christmas is actually one of the most common times when people can end up getting badly hurt, like being mugged (due to around Christmas and new year being the most dangerous time of year for crime due to shorter daylight hours and people carrying expensive Christmas gifts with them), or from accidents in the home, like being burned, electrocuted or scalded while preparing the Christmas dinner.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

When you find yourself on life support on Christmas eve, why don't you suggest that to your hospital?

• Bill
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

because people being people get sick and have accidents 24/7 365 days a year

• 4 weeks ago

cause people need to be there and the er needs to stay open

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.