Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 3 weeks ago

Was I an evil child or were there other things that caused it?

When I was a child (possibly 7yo) a girl stole something from me. I stole it back and after the thrill of getting it back I ended up stealing other things out of my classroom or maybe electronic items other kids had. The teachers caught me a few times, I was reprimanded by one, but another teacher one time took it out of my bag and gave it back to the original child, but she never talked to me about it. As an adult I don't know why I had such poor impulse control and wonder why I was so evil. I didn't have the best parents but I can't pinpoint anything bad that happened during that time that might have caused it. Only that it started after that other girl stole from me. Idk is there some psychological explanation. Maybe I was just terrible

Children do stuff like that all the time, they need to challenge authority and see what the consequences are. If the teacher didn't talk to you about it, you probably kept doing it to see when it would make them react. It doesn't make you a terrible kid, just a bit mischievious.

• justin

children often do not rationalize the consequences of misbehavior or care about getting in trouble or causing problems unless someone ingrains it in their mind not to . the thrill of it is enough for most young untaught minds to do something dumb.

So, this is a fun question but here is the serious answer. A child who steals is doing most things "correctly". They want what society teaches them to want, and they try to get it.

The problem is that they're a little too innovative. Their methods are wrong, and they need to be redirected. Most kids and young adults *can* be redirected, and they go on to be productive and traditional members of society.

You were encouraged by the thrill and when the teacher gave it back to the thief be rewarded.  It is a kind of vicious cycle.

Yes, you were an evil child.

Deep seated trolling tendencies.

you probably learned it from the girl that stole from you

No. Nobody’s evil. That’s just a technicality. You’re either a good person, or dead meat.