Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 9 months ago

What do I need to do in order to sell my deceased father's car?

I am the court-appointed administrator of his estate. I cannot drive his car and the battery is dead. It isn't insured and the registration/inspection sticker is out of date. I have the title, but I did not transfer it to me, so it is still in his name. I am in Texas. I have never bought or sold a car before and I do not know how to drive. I thought that if I sold it I could put the money towards some lessons and/or a car to learn in, or invest the money so it grows over time. What exactly do I need to do.

5 Answers

  • bobby
    Lv 6
    9 months ago

    First, i'm sorry for your loss. As long as you have a clear title, you can sell your late father's car even with the title in his name being you are the executor of the estate.

  • 9 months ago

    Your father needs to transfer the title over to you ( could be tricky)

  • May
    Lv 6
    9 months ago

    As the legal executor of the estate, you may sell the car.  To do so, It does NOT have to be put into your name first.  As the executor, you have the right to sign the present title with your name as the owner/executor/seller

  • 9 months ago

    First find out what the car is worth.  You would have to get it repaired, titled and inspected before trying to sell it.  If the car is old and has little value, consider selling to a salvage yard.  They can apply for an abandoned vehicle title and you won't have to do anything.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • .
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

    As executor, you have the authority to run an ad, set a selling price, collect the money, and sign over the title for the car.  It isn’t necessary to change the title on the car when you take on the task of selling it for the estate.  But before you sell it, it would be a good idea to renew the registration sticker and make sure it operates OK.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.