Is it odd my landlord told me my rent will be going up in August 2020?

That's a long ways off, so I think it's kind of strange he told me this. Don't you? I asked how much it would be going up, and he said he's not sure. I guess it's good I have a heads up on this, but not really if I don't get to know by how much. What do you think of him telling me this this morning when he saw me?

• Bort

It's not strange. I would be glad they informed me it would be going up and when to give me time to prepare for the increase or decide to move and give me time to find a place. That is probably why he told you of this, he's being considerate.

Why not? Why should he wait when he knows now when the next increase is scheduled?

maybe he just wanted to warn you ahead of time

More than 90 days is unusual, but it is better to know with time to decide if a move is to be considered.

His rent is based on several factors, including water bills, property taxes and insurance. If he KNOWS those are going to be increasing by mid-year, then you'll be paying more come July or August, but at this point he may not have any solid figures in hand.

So he gives you a heads up beforehand and more info will become available in a few months.

Yes, doesn't mean much.  If the rental market changes, he may decide not to raise your rent if he's having problems finding tenants.