Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysChristmas · 3 weeks ago

Would you be offended if somebody didn't get you anything for Xmas? ?

I stopped celebrating Xmas last year and I stopped giving family and friends gifts. I just realized i do a lot of things i don't like doing xmas being one. My family's saying I'm selfish and miserable etc lol like what's the big deal? I'm not even close to them. It doesn't mean i love them any less. I can give them gifts any time of the year if i wanted. But gifts don't mean anything to me. Would you be annoyed at not receiving gifts or would you accept and respect their decision?

Favorite Answer

I would totally respect that decision. Christmas has gotten way too commercialized (not that that's exactly a new observation). In fact, my family and I decided last year to not exchange gifts but instead to give a donation of money to our favorite charities.

It would depend on who it was, but I've gotten hard to buy for.

• Daisy

Depends.  I do like receiving gifts.  I don't need anything, really.   It's nice to have something to open on Christmas, but it's not a necessity. I'm older, so I can buy my own stuff.  If I were younger (like a child or a teen), I would be upset about not getting anything-- especially if other people in my family received gifts. 

You have to do what is right for you, but I can also see compromising with the family to a degree. My brother didn't always give gifts, but he was always there for our Christmas celebrations, sharing food, bringing bottles of wine, helping to decorate. There are other ways to share Christmas besides giving and receiving gifts. Lately, though, he's gotten into the gift-giving.

I recommend a book, Unplug the Christmas Machine, which will help you to discover what kind of Christmas works best for you.

Only if it was one of my parents.

• reme_1

You will have to be strong to deal with their aggravation. They will not understand and will not be ameniable to your new philosophy.

I wouldn't care about the missing gift, but I would think you were obnoxious for being "above" the celebrations.

i dont hardly get any gifts myself at christmas time

Well, we make a deal beforehand. Either gifts that year or not. If we do give gifts, we also decide whether we pull straws and/or go for a max. amount of money to spend, to avoid awkward differences between gifts and to avoid pressure to spend. Christmas is about loving to me, not so much giving, but giving something can be a sign of love. There are also millions of websites that tell you how you can make something for someone.

It may not mean anything to you... but clearly exchanging gifts still means something to them. Have you considered that?

I would probably be offended if it was immediate family that I always shop for, have already done some shopping for, and they failed to tell me far in advance, like months ago, that they have decided that they want to stop exchanging gifts.

It would suck to me if immediate family just wanted to stop entirely, but if informed far earlier in the year I'd be fine with it if they wanted to cut way back and just do some small token gift and that's it.  (Easy to just grab one of the easy gift things from Walmart -- the holiday cookie kits, mug and cocoa sets, those kinds of things -- then and call it a day.)

At that point it's just "the thought that counts" without going as far as "I didn't want to bother thinking of you." Because your family sounds like they're reacting from a feeling of rejection.

My family as a whole stopped giving each other Xmas gifts over 10 years ago, and none of us regret it for a second.