Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 3 weeks ago

Why am I such a hypochondriac? I think. (Sorry if it’s long.)?

For as long as I can remember I’ve always wanted an illness or to be sick. I don’t know why so I’m asking on here since I’m pretty sure my parents would think I’m crazy. I think I have depression but my parents say I’m not allowed to have a therapist so I don’t know. But I feel like the things I might actually have are things I don’t like. Like I don’t know if this is abnormal but I WANT to have celiac disease and type 1 diabetes. The 2 main ones at least... Every time I mention something to my mother about feeling sad or sick or something like that she says I just want attention since I have a history of faking sick to get out of hell (school). Ughh. I feel like such a waste of space. I know I should ‘go see a therapist’ people on here have told me many times to go do that instead of asking on here but I can’t. I don’t think you can even go to a medical professional without your parents consent at my age where I live. So I don’t have a choice. Any answers on here would really help..

You need therapy to curb your misconceptions of yourself and give you a better perspective.  Give it a try.  I have faith in you.

• Idk3 weeks agoReport

I can’t do therapy my parents won’t let me.

You've discovered that being "sick" can get you out of school hell and get you attention. You crave both of those things and being "sick" helps you get them. You do NOT want celiac disease because it will prevent you from eating foods that you probably enjoy such as cookies and pizza.

• Idk3 weeks agoReport

I think it’s because someone I look up to has it...

Try talking to a school nurse or school counsellor.

They can make recommendations to your parents regarding therapy etc.

If these recommendations are not acted upon, childrens services can get involved.

• In

Actually the term is "Munchausen Syndrome".  The primary difference between it and Hypochondria is wanting to be sick vs. believing you are sick.