Can I add Sta-bil to a snow blower with old gas already in it that won’t start or do I need to drain the gas and start fresh?

Snow blower was brand new last year and has maybe 6 hours on it. I didn’t winterize it at all and although it started about a month ago it won’t start now. Oil and park plug are good. Fuel is full but it’s from last year so I’m assuming that’s the issue. Can I put the additive in with fuel now or do I need to drain it and put it in with a new batch. Thanks in advance 

• zipper

You need to drain the gas, and you may need to take the carbonate r off and clean it as well. Then once that is done and replaced add new gas and the sta-bil, The old gas chooses two trouble, also many snow blowers have a shut off value, make sure that is in the run position!

You use sta-bil to store the snowblower in the Summertime. You don't use it in the Winter.

Drain the old gas and add new gasoline. You'r also going to need to take the carb bowl off and clean the bad ethanol crud out of the main jet. Use compressed air and carb cleaner spray.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

No. Fuel stablilzer will not bring stale fuel back to life.

Change out the fuel for fresh.

Also, drain the carburetor bowl.

If it doesn't have waster in it, it's still got old fuel in it.

• JetDoc

Sta-Bil won't help bring back OLD gasoline that has already started to turn to varnish. Drain the old fuel and start over.

• L.N.

Stabilizer prevents good fuel from going bad, it does not turn bad fuel into good fuel. Drain the old fuel. The carburetor may also need to be cleaned since gas forms varnish when it goes bad and plugs up the passages.

I assume that you're getting spark. Will it start if you spray starting fluid directly into the carb (or WD 40)? Try that and try to keep it running as long as you can.

you should drain it out, put fresh fuel in and start it and let it run for about half hour to clear out any residual particles that may have formed in fuel system.

Putting in fuel additive in old fuel will do little at this point.

• Greg

It is a preventative, no a cure. Drain the tank.

Stabil now won't do any good if the gas has been in there for a year.  I would drain the gas and try fresh gasoline.