Gerik asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 3 weeks ago

Would it be paying respect back or being decent to care for your elderly disabled parents in the same way they took care of you as an infant?

Update:

and the reason its in philosophy is because I want to get to the truth of the manner in come logical way that doesn't involve psychology. I  see the opposing argument to cruel: that is, to just do nothing, never see them, and just throw them in a hospice or something similar.

Update 2:

the whole "you don't owe your parents anything" sounds a little juvenile don't you think?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes. It's called "filial piety" and it's considered a very basic duty in many civilizations.

• A C
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

Both.  But sometimes a nursing home is the best answer when one is unable to do all the physical work involved.  Most people have to work for a living so it's impossible to be the main caregiver.  However, they should certainly visit as often as possible and take care of their financial and legal issues; as well as  oversee their medical care and take care of their emotional needs as much as possible. 

• 3 weeks ago

I am not sure it’s exactly the same.  A child is learning to be independent and the elderly are learning to let go of independence—care taking is different.  

And for adult children with kids of their own, it’s a struggle to give that deep of care.  College costs impending makes furloughing the career tough to be the full time care taker— and when your parent dies and your job stood in the way of having been there— the heatwave runs deep.  

Our capitalist society makes elder care really hard. 

• j153e
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

If a child/man/person is able to forgive his/her parents their abuses of him/her, and also able to appreciate any love and caring they were able to provide, that of itself would provide emotional and rational motivation per Kant's categorical imperative:  act in a manner such that it as a rule benefits all.  The golden rule of doing unto one's parents per their giving unto you is a golden thread throughout civilizations and cultures; an arc of self-actualization from helpless infant to accomplishing working adult who then provides for both his/her children and his/her parents, and his wife's parents.  It is also incumbent per the categorical imperative to be as good a child as possible, learning to earn and respect one's elders for what they do, and as an adult providing some financial security for oneself and spouse in years of less earning or retirement, keeping oneself fit and healthy, etc.

This world is typically a very demanding place, and it is incumbent upon all to accept this reality, even as Maslow and Montessori show ways forward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_o... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Montessori

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • There are many motivations for a given act.  Yours is one example of what potential motivation may be for caring for older relatives.  But it's not the only potential motivation.  One might just do it for money.

• 3 weeks ago

Not necessarily, it depends on how they took care of you.

• Gerik3 weeks agoReport

. I think I  understand if they gave you up for adoption or abuse a earlyborn (how would you remember anyway). but otherwise they got through the tedious necessities in the very beginning.  at least give them some attention/care and the other spectrum a right to gracefully die and be there for that.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.